The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supercharged Supra?

boombastictiger

Hi

I know the supra engine was designed for a turbo. I know you might get more power from a turbo on the supra engine...

But i want to know if it is possible, or if anyone knows anyone who has put a supercharger on a supra.....

Im aiming for about 350-450 bhp when i do my turbo upgrade..So im sure a supercharger could do that....With somethings i like to be different...if its a realllllllly bad idea id forget it...but i dont know....so thats why im asking...

There's a lot more power overhead to drive a supercharger as the supercharger is also a parasitic loss on the engine. Say you upped your power from 320bhp to 400bhp using a supercharger. It may be taking 50bhp to drive the blower, so the engine is actualy producing 450bhp but int 400bhp makes it to the flywheel.

There's a lot more power overhead to drive a supercharger as the supercharger is also a parasitic loss on the engine. Say you upped your power from 320bhp to 400bhp using a supercharger. It may be taking 50bhp to drive the blower, so the engine is actualy producing 450bhp but int 400bhp makes it to the flywheel.

AHh i c

it would be interesting though, woulndt it, I have an NA at the moment...so im only runnint 230bhp...i thought maby a supracharger to maby 350-400 might be a interesting transition, until im old enough to get insured on something alot more powerful..

Turboing is the simpler option. mechanically. Its also virtually free extra power as you are taking it from the wasted enegry in the exhaust gas.

With a blower you have all the same fuelling and boost isues, plus the additional overhead of having to drive the unit as well.

There are upshots as well:

The SC will not create all that heat in the engine compartment.

Throttle response will be crisper and lag nonexistent.

You'll be able to run wilder cams as there will be no reversion.

However, the overall balance favours the turbocharger, especially for high-power applications.

MPG is better with a turbo as well, 5-6mpg easily.

This is something that I've been looking into as well. As far as looking for something with extra power that's easy on the insurance forget it - Sky quoted me an extra £500 (give or take) to fit a blower on my N/A.

Have a look at http://www.clubna-t.com they have some useful information.

If you want monster bhp, then stick with a turbo, but if you want to be different, then a blower would be fun. It's definatrly on my list of future mods.

I got quoted about £2500 for a blower kit, can't remember where from now.

Full revs

Animal

More of a general question then, :hijack: what swings it each way for a car designer?

Why are Jags and Mercs usually supercharged, while Porsches and Mitsi's are always tubbied?

Superchargers are smooth with their power delivery and offer buckets of lowdown torque...exactly what big exec/gt's want...I can't see Jaguar wanting a massive rush at 4000rpm ;)

This may change as VGT/VNT etc takes off.

I might try the SC mod, sounds interesting, I will look into it..

Might be a stupid Q, but will the exhaust note change any how?

The exh will be louder, leaving everything else untouched.

There will be no turbine to absorb energy, so you may need an extra silencer to make up for it (or maybe not)

The high-pitched sound comes from the engine bay, not the exhaust. It's actually quite annoying sometimes, depends on the make of SC.

I thought blowers could rob 30% of your power.

Nah, but they can rob about 20ish% of the *extra* power they'll give you.

It depends on the blower as well, the 'roots' blowers fitted by OEMs are a lot more inefficient than late variants of twin-screw for example.

Centrifugal blowers are as efficient as turbochargers in the act of compression, but without the engine-bay-heat crap. They are also more linear in their power delivery, being coupled directly to the crank.

You lose the midrange punch (compared to a turbo) but you also lose the risk of detonation and the desperate need to reduce the comp ratio.

Turbos win the battle, but SCs manage to throw a few good punches as well;)