The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it possible to have a 5 speed Gearbox in a TT

Guest chris_shirl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt mind as the w58 and N/a diff ratio's will make it quick alright, but how strong is a w58 in the real world?

I don't know too much on this subject but all info to Chris im sure will be appreciated. The n/a box should cope with stock TT power levels at least i would have thought.

I think Chris is extremely pissed off at this situation. He paid good if not over the top money for what he thought was a true TT. A shame as its a lovely looking supra too

And rightly so. I hope he can go back to the seller and try to get his money back. Hope it was a dealer and not private thought...

Guest chris_shirl

thanks for all the help guyz.. our email addy is

[email protected]

Should we get a 6 speed box or sell it?

How much would 6 speed be to fit including all the other stuff to go with it.

Feel so stupid now that we have been ripped!

What is the maximum for small claim's court? take them to court, and get your cash back,

Failing that, if everything else is okay on the car... stick with it???? a 5spd tt could be great fun, after all the speedlimit is 70mph, and you can have plenty of fun with the 5spd box....

Not ideal I know...

[email protected]

For the conversion you are looking at the box itself, flywheel, clutch assembly, master cylinder, prop, diff, and I think one of the driveshafts is different, It would mount up to a few grand

one Weak point seems to be Torque transfer in 3rd gear that has stripped the teeth clean on the mk3 Na-t conversions stateside, but there are guys pushing 400+bhp on the same setups, but dunno the Torque figures with those. Most go to the r154 above 350+bhp

Weak point would definately be the Clutch though, As long as thats been upgraded i wouldnt worry. Spec list a clutch for the W58 which is rated at 500BHp - So Spec dont seem to have a problem with the boxes strengths :) .

[email protected]

Don't beat yourself up over it, the same would have happened to many new owners on here.

Unfortunately fitting a 6spd box may not be that simple, there's the other TT goodies you may be missing like the LSD. Personally I'd want to get a refund from the seller, or pursue through small claims.

For the conversion you are looking at the box itself, flywheel, clutch assembly, master cylinder, prop, diff, and I think one of the driveshafts is different, It would mount up to a few grand

Bits can be gotten cheap enough as i have told him. Just bide his time and wait for bits to come up for sale at the right price. The master cylinder is not needed, did you mean the slave cylinder?

Parts will come along for a 6 speed conversion, just get them in bit by bit, Meanwhile - just go and enjoy the car :D

thats what i told him. According to the original car advert, there is an uprated clutch in there too so the box should be fine

Here's the original advert:

For SALE

TOYOTA SUPRA TWIN TURBO

L reg. Manual, 75000Km, Mot Feb 07, Tax Aug 06, Toyota service history,

lots of history, user manuals & more.

Fully ‘modded.` Full body kit, vented GRP bonnet with

DO-LUCK front spoiler and splinter, adjustable rear spoiler,

VEILSIDE side skirts, pearlescent paint;

HKS Programmable ECU, Boost controller, uprated fuel pump, Blow off valve; APEX induction kit and cone air filter, exhaust cat back and pre-cat removal; THRUST large intercooler and hard piping,

ULTIMA Turbo timer;

OS GIKEN lightened and balanced flywheel with a OS GIKEN duel disc competition clutch (rated 500 -650 rwBHP);

TEIN fully adjustable coilovers all round: front strut brace;

TRD 4 point harnesses; Full roll cage with removable diagonal bar

BLITZ gauges with recall button,

UK spec large front brake discs and callipers fitted

VOLK RACING 17” wheels with NEW Michelin Pilot sports tyres all round

Cat 1 alarm; climate control, a/c, e/m, e/w e/seat, (note: cruise control, traction control and active front spoiler disengaged)

NOT for the faint hearted this car beats sports bikes (incl. R1’s) 180mph in no time at all. All this could be yours for:

Yes sorry Lee slave, it is a common conversion in the states amongst the NA-T guys, there are full write up's I can point you in the right direction when the time is right, another option is the r154 box which you source yourself then buy a conversion kit from boostlogic for around $2000 which makes for a very strong drivetrain but at the end of the day it is still a 5 speed

Does raise a good point tho...

TOYOTA SUPRA TWIN TURBO

Is the ad strictly speaking right?? It is deceptive that he hasn't listed that it has had a conversion but if it has been right which the it seems to have been, how would you describe it?

Also, it could have been converted in Japan perhaps and shipped over... the first buyer might not have realized that a TT should only be a 6spd....

it all depends what he has payed for it, in auction the guy will know its a sz so he will know its a non turbo model with a tt lump in.

personally i think its shocking what the seller has done i seen a sz with a tt lumps go for around 4-5k maybe just over in uk on road if they are mint and are grade 1 cars due to mods.

get in touch with seller mate see what he says but if car cost you less than 6k i would not complain if it was more then the ball is in your court am sure other guys on here will be foaming if they got stung like this.