The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diesel cars

CJ

As Alex says, anything with a VAG TDI lump in it.

Easier to sell on after your finished with it than a Mondeo too as you're not putting it in the paper amongst the other squillion that will be for sale at the same time! Plus the build quality of the rest of the car is probably better too.

The VW/Audi 2.5 TDi will get mid to maybe high 30's per gallon on the motorway and mid to high 20's around town. The 1.9TDi can get high 50's or if you're careful even low 60's per gallon on the motorway and 40ish around town.

We've got an Audi A6 1.9TDi getting these sort of mileages on it. Completely reliable and now approaching 150,000 miles on it.

:thumbs:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a big fan of Volkswaggon but would have to admit they make excellent Diesel cars. I know several people with either, Audi, Volkswaggon or Skoda and they all do very good mileage, eg 50+MPG.

My self, I bought a Rover 400 diesel turbo with 78,000 on the clock for £1000. It does 51mpg all day and has never missed a beat.

A nice cheap runabout if you dont want to spend £1000,s.

Carl

Col, I had an Audi A4 Tdi 110se for about 2 yrs did about 60,000 miles in it (ontop of the 70,000 it had when I bought it) and it didn't miss abeat. I had it (ahem) chipped, and it gave better performance and better fuel economy. I chopped it for my current hack (waits for it!) a Volvo S80 D5 which for a big old 2.4 5cyl diesel is surprisingly economical (55mpg) doing about 160 miles a day down the m40 and back. Good mway car but not very dynamic.

Personally I'd have another audi anyday but any VAG group car is good even the Octavia! :D

ive got a gold gt tdi and its superb, its chipped upto about 160-170 bhp and it flys :) went to germany in june with a load of the 300zx gang and it kept up with them on the autobahns (150 mph!!) and did a 10 min lap of the ring ;)

and still did over 40 mpg over all on the trip :D

well put together, a little boring inside but does what it says on the tin!! typical german car ;)

Touareg V10 Diesel

Engine Turbo Diesel 90º V 10

Engine Location Front , longitudinally mounted

Displacement 4.921 liter / 300.3 cu in

Valvetrain 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC

Fuel feed Direct fuel injection

Aspiration Twin Turbo

Gearbox Tiptronic 6 speed Automatic

Drive All wheel drive

Performance figures

Power 308 bhp / 230 KW @ 3750 rpm

Torque 750 Nm / 553 ft lbs @ 2000 rpm

BHP/Liter 63 bhp / liter

Power to weight ratio 0.12 bhp / kg

Economy is probably shite but look at that torque!!!!

Spoke to a cabby yesterday as he drove me in his Mondeo TDCI.

He had an Octavia before with the VAG diesel in it.

His opinion was that the Mondeo was a nicer place to be. But that the VAG diesel was the most frugal. Cabbies using a VAG 1.9 were saving about £25 a week over the Ford TDCI users.

Once again, thanks for all the info and advice guys :thumbs:

It now becomes more urgent as I was offered the new position yesterday and they confirmed they do not pay mileage to and from the office - so the search begins in earnest.

I had diesel estates for over ten years. Every one I had were OK motors. The gof TDI estate I have to say was the best one I had, that was the last of the mk3 shape on a 97 plate. I sold it recently for £1600. My rule of thumb with a big mile commuter to not lose so much money was pay about £2k and write the money off, drive it for as long as its financially and mechanically sound to do so. On average mine lasted me 4 to 5 years.

A good all round performer is a rover 220 SDI. Its actually quicker than the equivalent golf and its a damn sight cheaper. If you dont mind the old man image Oh hang on you are an old man :) Have you considered LPG on a cheap N/A supe? I know that Lucifer isn't far off completing his setup.

Have you considered LPG on a cheap N/A supe? I know that Lucifer isn't far off completing his setup.

I hadnt considered that option. What sort of cost per litre is LPG and is there much difference MPG to petrol?