The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diesel cars

CJ

I don't know too much about diesel cars and was looking for some advice. It looks as if I will be working in Havant quite soon and will need to travel about 150 miles every day back and fore to the office. I don't think a Supra would be sensible for this kind of mileage given that I may have to pay my own fuel.

If I decided to buy a runaround for about 5k, what diesel car would people reccomend? Or would you not reccomend a diesel and go for something else that offered similar economy?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know too much about diesel cars and was looking for some advice. It looks as if I will be working in Havant quite soon and will need to travel about 150 miles every day back and fore to the office. I don't think a Supra would be sensible for this kind of mileage given that I may have to pay my own fuel.

If I decided to buy a runaround for about 5k, what diesel car would people reccomend? Or would you not reccomend a diesel and go for something else that offered similar economy?

push bike is good:)

Get yourself a VW Passat. Weve got 3 of them, 2 TDI's and they give around 55/60 MPG. Good strong cars, nice executive look and plenty of space and comfortable for long journeys. Not slow either!

Even the 2ltr Petrol one we have gives great mpg about 40 i think and its single turbo ;) hehe.

Get an Astra CDTi 1.9 150bhp they can be chipped up to 190bhp still retains good MPG! I've never been a fan of vauxhalls, but the new shape Astra has a potential to become a hot hatch, its a route im also considering. should be very torquey!

I'd go along with MK47 an say a Passat. We've got a TDI 130, an one of these would be perfect for what you want. Plenty of power (for a diesel), comfortable, loads of room, nice looking, an a blinding cd system. Should pick up a good one, (with slightly high miles), for what you want to spend.

I can't keep up with you!

First you're moving to Dubai, then Kos, now you've got a job in some place called Havant. :nyah:

Next you'll be casting off all your possessions and joining a circus or something. Do you have any special hidden talents suitable for display to families? Can you put your head in a hippos mouth?

That reminds me - anyone see that news article about the circus dwarf in Russia who fell off some trampoline into a yawning Hippos mouth and got swallowed? Apparently the hippo has an instictive reaction to start swallowing and won't stop once it starts.

I think I'm rambling again.

I can't keep up with you!

First you're moving to Dubai, then Kos, now you've got a job in some place called Havant. :nyah:

I know. My life is a bit of a turmoil at the moment. I was interviewed for a osition in Bahrain. That is still ongoing but it is really dragging its heals. I really do want to go to Kos but it would be silly to go out now as it is the end of the season and there is no work until May next year.

Next you'll be casting off all your possessions and joining a circus or something. Do you have any special hidden talents suitable for display to families? Can you put your head in a hippos mouth?

Lots of talents...none suitable for family viewing. :D

That reminds me - anyone see that news article about the circus dwarf in Russia who fell off some trampoline into a yawning Hippos mouth and got swallowed? Apparently the hippo has an instictive reaction to start swallowing and won't stop once it starts.

I can just imagine the hippo thinking..."Erm, that tastes funny"! :D

Golf TDI is always a good bet, 150bhp, but can be chipped....

If you really want to do it on a budget, you can get conversion kits to run it on cooking oil (rapeseed).....

The power element isn't that important on this car. The economy is what will count.

As an aside, how does one pronounce "rapeseed"? Is it as in rape seed?

The power element isn't that important on this car. The economy is what will count.

As an aside, how does one pronounce "rapeseed"? Is it as in rape seed?

Yup.. RAPE SPEED....

Well apparently using cooking oil (clean), does give around exactly the same power... I could be wrong, but I believe if you do run on cooking oil, you need to notify Customs, and they send you a form, which you fill in, stating how much you intend to use, for which you pay the tax... Effectively you register yourself as a fuel supplier..... I seem to remember it works out to around 20p/l tax... which is still a LOT cheaper than £1 which you pay at the pumps.

I am in exactly the same situation moving jobs in a month or so and going to be doing a lot more miles, I have been looking at late mk3 golf tdi's but i am not looking to spend anymore than 2k Theres loads on auto trader some have very high milage but i don't see this being a problem with a diesel ;)

nobody will beat my wife's - Pug 405 td cost nothing (her dad gave it to her) and does between 50-55 mpg.

OK not the quickest, but so what - it's saves the pennies? while we have had it, it has cost 11p per mile (considering fuel, insurance, tax - the lot!).

Do you want something fancy?