The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Low Boost + BOV Quiet?

JamesArup

Hey all,

As you may, or may not, know, I have recently got my car back after 8 months off the road. As I suspected, a number of mechanical and electrical 'gremlins' have cropped up :ecstatic:

When I drove the car away, it seemed to be boosting properly and the dump valve was nice and loud. Recently, the dump valve has gone silent, and my max boost is about 0.85 (about standard). I am running a Blitz SBC-ID3 and usually boost to 1.2 bar at full tilt ..... dump valve singing all the way :cool:

Given the lack of sound, I am assuming that my dump valve has siezed up or something. It's the HKS SSQV. I've taken the cover off the BOV, and given a quick spray of WD40 onto the piston, but that doesn't seem to have helped. I've also replaced the feed hose that goes into the back of the BOV incase there was a problem with that, or the 1 way valve on it .... still no joy :( .

Despite that, all the symptoms are pointing to a BOV that is stuck open. I'm guessing that this would cause a boost leak, hence the standard boost. I'm guessing that it may need more than a quick dose of WD40? Does it sound like I am on the right track here, or is there something else that I could be missing? Has anyone else ever had this problem with the HKS SSQV?

I'm going to drive to work tomorrow in TTC and see how much boost I can get .. hopefully eliminating any issues with either of the valves.

Cheers for any help :thumbs:

James :D

Hmmm ... well, I drove to work in TTC today. I peaked at about 0.90, but nowhere near the 1.2 I'm used to :innocent:

But .. even when I turn the boost controller off, I still get around about standard boost (0.85 or so). Surely if there was a split pipe, or a boost leak, then I would be seeing less than standard boost with the boost controller off?

I will try and have a good look around all the pipes if I can but, on an initial check, everything seems to be okay :rolleyes:

Can't think what else it could be!

Cheers, J :D

Hmmm ... well, I drove to work in TTC today. I peaked at about 0.90, but nowhere near the 1.2 I'm used to :innocent:

But .. even when I turn the boost controller off, I still get around about standard boost (0.85 or so). Surely if there was a split pipe, or a boost leak, then I would be seeing less than standard boost with the boost controller off?

I will try and have a good look around all the pipes if I can but, on an initial check, everything seems to be okay :rolleyes:

Can't think what else it could be!

With the warm weather, lower boost is to be expected surely.

I've had the car for over 2 years now, even on the hottest Summer day I don't really see that much boost loss. Maybe 0.1 bar or so, but certainly not the 0.4-0.5 bar that I'm missing at the moment. Also, my BOV has never gone silent before. Even when I turn the boost controller off, it's still clearly audible be it Summer or Winter :D

Also, it's not really been that warm down here recently! :innocent: :p

Cheers, J

Yeah ... I've always had my suspicions about the hoses on the FMIC. They've certainly seen better days.

I'll take a look at those in more detail, But I certainly think I need to be ordering up some new stuff to replace them all anyway to be honest ;)

Cheers, J

Guest welformed

Yeah and if your BOV was stuck open there would be a proper very loud boost-leaky whooshing sound and you would get no boost at all. I know about that one first hand.

Heh heh .. coolio. Cheers guys, sounds like a common theme here ;)

Actually, I should have known about the noise a BOV makes when it's stuck open, seeing as I managed to shatter my previous one. It actually physically snapped leaving the flange in the hardpipe and the main BOV body dangling down in the engine bay!

Guess I'll switch over to the Skyline for a few days and take the Supra to bits then :eyebrows:

Hmmm, at first glance I can't find any obvious split or disconnected hoses. Some of the lower down ones on the FMIC are quite hard to get to with the bumper on, so I will have to remove that to get a proper look at them (not sure when I am going to find time for that!) :blink:

Is there any other possible cause that anyone can think of, or is it 99.9% certain to be a boost hose or BOV issue?

Cheers, J :cool: