The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mid-Thread Advertising

Soop Dogg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are unwritten rules really, but I can easily add them to the rules if the need arises.

Adverts in the technical forum is a no-no full stop. If the thread is such that an advert in the middle doesn't look out of place (i.e. someone has asked for the price of something) then the thread probably should be moved to Supra Chat as it's obviously not very technical.

Traders pay their money so they can trade here. This means they can have a banner at the top if they want, they can have the right to post in the traders forum with a sticky thread if they want, or they can have a section of their own which they can abuse to their hearts content. They are also allowed to advertise in their signatures.

They are also able to respond to questions in any forum. So if someone asks "Where can I get this from?" or "How much will this cost?" then they are free to answer it, but (unwritten rule here) I would prefer them to answer with something like "I can get these for £x - contact me if interested" rather than "I can do these for £x and they are the best and I can also sell you this, that, some other stuff, and you can contact me on 000 00000 0000 or via MSN or PM me or e-mail me...... blah blah". (Signatures should be used for contact details)

They are not allowed to start threads trying to sell/promote stuff outside of the traders section or their own section. They are also not allowed to hijack threads to promote stuff either. So if there is a discussion on which type of exhaust is better, 'IanC's quality exhaust" or "mawby's hack-it-and-run exhaust" then I don't expect a trader to pop in with an advert like "I can get both of these for £x, contact me".

However, if a trader posts up saying "Well we've sold both before, IanC's exhaust is more expensive but all our customers have been happy with them, but that mawby's exhaust is shite and we've had every single one back because they've fallen apart after a week." then I think that's acceptable as it's adding information to the thread. They don't need to mention prices or the fact they can supply it (as it's already implied) and if anyone is interested in the prices then they will ask.

OK then maybe stick this in the rules and get traders to actually read it?

Also from what I have read there we are not allowed to advertise in teh forsale section? Is this correct?

These are unwritten rules really, but I can easily add them to the rules if the need arises.

Adverts in the technical forum is a no-no full stop. If the thread is such that an advert in the middle doesn't look out of place (i.e. someone has asked for the price of something) then the thread probably should be moved to Supra Chat as it's obviously not very technical.

Traders pay their money so they can trade here. This means they can have a banner at the top if they want, they can have the right to post in the traders forum with a sticky thread if they want, or they can have a section of their own which they can abuse to their hearts content. They are also allowed to advertise in their signatures.

They are also able to respond to questions in any forum. So if someone asks "Where can I get this from?" or "How much will this cost?" then they are free to answer it, but (unwritten rule here) I would prefer them to answer with something like "I can get these for £x - contact me if interested" rather than "I can do these for £x and they are the best and I can also sell you this, that, some other stuff, and you can contact me on 000 00000 0000 or via MSN or PM me or e-mail me...... blah blah". (Signatures should be used for contact details)

They are not allowed to start threads trying to sell/promote stuff outside of the traders section or their own section. They are also not allowed to hijack threads to promote stuff either. So if there is a discussion on which type of exhaust is better, 'IanC's quality exhaust" or "mawby's hack-it-and-run exhaust" then I don't expect a trader to pop in with an advert like "I can get both of these for £x, contact me".

However, if a trader posts up saying "Well we've sold both before, IanC's exhaust is more expensive but all our customers have been happy with them, but that mawby's exhaust is shite and we've had every single one back because they've fallen apart after a week." then I think that's acceptable as it's adding information to the thread. They don't need to mention prices or the fact they can supply it (as it's already implied) and if anyone is interested in the prices then they will ask.

just so its clear we arent trying to piss off the traders here. What worries us is that if one trader starts posting in the middle of threads that they can supply similar products then all the traders should be allowed to do it, and Im afraid in that way lays insanity for all.

If a trader is adding something to a thread thats fine, but if its purely an advert for their wares and adds nothing to the thread then we may as well get google in and run their adverts for money.

JB

Also from what I have read there we are not allowed to advertise in teh forsale section? Is this correct?
The Forum Posting Rules for the classified forums states "This forum is for the sale of private mkiv Supra parts only. No group buys or trade advertisements are allowed in this forum." So if you have some stuff you've taken off your own car and want to sell on, then the classified forum is for you. If you're selling anything that will go through your company books then the traders section (or your own section in your case) is the place for it.

The Forum Posting Rules for the classified forums states "This forum is for the sale of private mkiv Supra parts only. No group buys or trade advertisements are allowed in this forum." So if you have some stuff you've taken off your own car and want to sell on, then the classified forum is for you. If you're selling anything that will go through your company books then the traders section (or your own section in your case) is the place for it.

Right Understood. Thanks for clearing this up.

Guest Garfy

So, thread 31 in this post would be a no no then.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=70409&page=3

I dont see a problem with it, they pay trader fees, they need to earn a living, if i started a thread with "are my wheel bearings fooked' i dont see it as a porblem if a trader posted on the thread telling me he has some in stock.

As long as it is relavant to the thread its ok, now stop bitching :D

And there it is - the post that pushed me to start this thread in the first place!

When you read the thread through, that post just seems sooooo opportunistic and contributes nothing to the debate whatsoever.

:rolleyes:

Hilariously, and unbelievably, and I may get in trouble for this but I simply can't let it go, but someone reported that thread accusing Garfy of acting like a trader and requesting that the thread be removed!! Garfy! Can you believe it?

You'll never guess who it was that reported it.

-Ian

Guest Terry S
Hilariously, and unbelievably, and I may get in trouble for this but I simply can't let it go, but someone reported that thread accusing Garfy of acting like a trader and requesting that the thread be removed!! Garfy! Can you believe it?

-Ian

Oh bet I can guess, there truely are some pathetic w*nkers on here now.

-Ian

Prez tell then.

Guest Garfy

-Ian

Really? I can't believe that, what a W*nker, for starters it's not me that is making the exhausts (or any money from them) so therefore how can I be a trader, all I was doing is asking if people are interested in the process and the results and how much it would cost if they wanted the same thing done.

And to think I nearly bought an exhaust from said reporter (if I am guessing correctly)

So i guess all you guys dont watch the tv, go to the cinema, buy Dvds, read news papers-magazines, listen to the radio or even walk down the high street. Theres plenty of forced advertising placed on us everyday that is totally irrelivant to our lives, but do we boycott the media/Shops... No..

Speaking as a forum member that hit his pride and joy on xmas eve, Some of the 'pointless advertising of parts prices availability etc' actually helped me to rebuild my car.