The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mid-Thread Advertising

Soop Dogg

Is it just me or dies it seem a bit cheeky when, half way through a thread a trader posts a blatant advert for a product that's being discussed in that thread?

I wouldn't mind so much if a contribution was made to the thread in the process, but if a trader just piles in with an advert for one of their products without ANY reference to the rest of the thread, shouldn't they butt out and place the advert in their own section?

It'll soon be like watching ITV on here with targetted adverts for products relating to thread subject!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It annoys me in technical threads but it depends on context. If the thread creator has asked for the rough price for X, or where they would get X from, as well as is X any good or how do they fit an X, then I think it's acceptable.

If however someone posts up a guide on changing a camshaft and a trader pops up saying "I sell these sorts of camshafts blah blah" then they stand a chance of getting their post deleted :) I haven't done that yet as I'm sure there would be an uproar but I have commented before on keeping blatant advertising out of tech discussions unless it's asked for.

And no getting a stool pigeon to ask in every thread :p

-Ian

Guest Garfy

I wouldn't say Lucifer is to bad at this, he tends to offer his advice only and is always there to help if needed.

But there are some on here that do simply come into a thread and say I can do it cheaper, or better when not having added anything before, or after for that matter, and it does annoy me, this is suppose to be an information site to help offers, and some are using it as a pure advertising medium.

Whilst on the topic, I have a really blingy thing for sale that will add 1000hp and is really cheap, anyone fancy a group buy? :p

Sorry I am guilty of this at times, usually it's only if someone is looking for something though or if I can offer advice or opinion on a particular part. :innocent: :run:

I have to say I have no problem with it and that's kind of why they're here...

Someone has X problem, someone else offers Y solution which involves a product... more opinions and then maybe a few traders saying I can do them whatever price... the cost of the bit to solve the problem is kind of useful..?

Whats all this trader bashing going on around here lately..? I just don't get it.. :search:

Mmm but when someone says "product X is great and lucky you, I sell it for £Y", how much stock do you put in that learned opinion :)

If I ask "What size injectors would complement a T72DBB" I want to hear injector sizes and maybe a nice discussion on static fuel pressure. Unacceptable replies would be "We've got a T72DBB kit in stock right now!!! *linky*" or "We sell Siemens injectors and they are the bestest ever, only £BLARG each!".

If I ask "What size injectors would complement a T72DBB and how much would they cost" then fire away with quotes.

See what I mean? And private sales spamming would get trodden on just as hard I assure you. I'm trader freindly, me :innocent:

-Ian

Is it just me or dies it seem a bit cheeky when, half way through a thread a trader posts a blatant advert for a product that's being discussed in that thread?

I wouldn't mind so much if a contribution was made to the thread in the process, but if a trader just piles in with an advert for one of their products without ANY reference to the rest of the thread, shouldn't they butt out and place the advert in their own section?

It'll soon be like watching ITV on here with targetted adverts for products relating to thread subject!

I appreciate what you are saying I do, and I try to keep it to a minimum.

Basically withough us traders the forum would not be what it is today through money and advice / bits of fun.

So if were not alowed to buy parts, and now not advertise (not being funny here) but what should we do for the money we pay?

It's OK Martin, no-one can decipher your posts anyway :D

Traders have their sections, and if people want stuff they can go there, or they can ask in supra chat, or even ask as an aside in a technical question, and a trader can respond with offers/prices etc - no problems with that. I, and I think Soop Dogg, are simply against advertising which is practically a keyword popup. Like my example above.

-Ian

Mmm but when someone says "product X is great and lucky you, I sell it for £Y", how much stock do you put in that learned opinion :)

Yeah, I get that, but no opinion and just 'i have these at this price'... is useful sometimes..? still shop around etc.

I don't think any of the traders on here would give duff information (and it go unnoticed) to sell stuff..? We usually all have a fair comment on things... :)

I've seen Lucifer do it a few times, but as paid up traders isn't it their right to 'poach' potential customers who need their products (by the nature of the thread suggesting they need the product).

If I was selling something and a trader came on offering it for less, I wouldn't be happy.

and now not advertise (not being funny here) but what should we do for the money we pay?

i don't think that is the case. I think if you hijacl a sales thread to get a sale that is bad. If you offer advice to help good. But never if your advicing that the sale is not good.

if any one understands that;)

Whoa Tom you've got the wrong thread here, this is when a techie discussion has a trader pop up unrequested and advertise something possibly only slightly to do with the thread. This isn't the whole "poaching on other people's sales thread" discussion :D

-Ian

I don't think any of the traders on here would give duff information (and it go unnoticed) to sell stuff..? We usually all have a fair comment on things... :)

You're joking aren't you? Remember the fallout when a few of us pulled Bijal up on his spurious claims about HKS turbos? I shan't be contributing to things like that again, let the duff information flow!

-Ian

You're joking aren't you? Remember the fallout when a few of us pulled Bijal up on his spurious claims about HKS turbos? I shan't be contributing to things like that again, let the duff information flow!

-Ian

Sorry, I don't.... well you live and learn eh? :)

I have no beef with the traders chipping in with a crafty advert, I really don't care, and until now i've kept my opinions largely to myself.

What bothers me is when we have two or more traders gobbing off because trader 1 sells product A, but not product B, trader 2 sells product B but not product A, so a slanging match then ensues of which product is best. Even if one of the traders comes up with 'proof' that their product is better there are heckles from the other trader or the audiance that the test wasn't fair.

I'm not digging out any traders in particular, it's a general observation.

I cant see a problem with this, if a trader promotes a product/ service that is surely fair enough. ( Traders are also Members)

How many times do members start threads about good service etc, that is also advertising and I have not seen a reply complaining about this:)