The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just bought 3 Classics

jamesmark

Take wine, when you see Vintage wine you think it's old but you can have a 2006 Vintage but surely it has to be round a long time? lol

That's a different thing james.

Vintage wine is different to wine of a vintage circa 2006........in the latter the wine nobs have simply substituted the word "vintage" to mean "year"...

That doesn't mean you can start substituting the word "classic" for "class".....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I can only call it a classic after a certain amount of years? How many is that?

Why are you asking me?.....:D

Dunno really...Classic cars are generally over 20-25 years old

Classic "modern" music would be from the 50s, 60's and 70s and maybe the early 80s.

Dunno what you would call the 90s music (I know what I would call it though...:))...

Why are you asking me?.....:D

Dunno really...Classic cars are generally over 20-25 years old

Classic "modern" music would be from the 50s, 60's and 70s and maybe the early 80s.

Dunno what you would call the 90s music (I know what I would call it though...:))...

Oh, it just seemed like you knew. ;)

The problem with using 'classic' to describe something is that it's true meaning has become lost and it is now commonly misused.

I have seen at least two TV adverts for records that haven't even been released yet describe them as classics or instant classics. It's marketing BS that sadly leads to incorrect usage.

Don't even get me started on people who describe the merely odd as surreal.

Ok, so if you heard something tomorrow, a piece of music etc which completely swept you off your feet. It sounded like nothing you've ever imagined and totally consumed you. You played it till your ears literally bled. Would that not be a 'classic' for you?

My personal music history is littered with songs and albums that fulfill all of those criteria. Today, a great many of them I find to unlistenable tosh. Just because it moves you at the time does not make it a classic. If you can enjoy and still get goosebumps years later then that, even if it's in your opinion only, makes it a classic.

My personal music history is littered with songs and albums that fulfill all of those criteria. Today, a great many of them I find to unlistenable tosh. Just because it moves you at the time does not make it a classic. If you can enjoy and still get goosebumps years later then that, even if it's in your opinion only, makes it a classic.

Which is the original point is it not? The 'classic' albums referred to were listened to years ago so in his mind they are classics.

Just don't see why you have to put a timeframe on music you find timeless.

The only form of music that can truly be described as classic is classical. ;)

So who defines a classic, according to the post's so far it has to be old? which erm in this day and age is not the case. Old computers can be called classics but they are no where near the age that has been posted.

There seems to be to much of this "it's not a classic as I don't think its old enough" to me thats BS as a classic can be used for an item that is outdated by the new that the INDIVIDUAL prefers and classes as a classic, the word classic can be used for a whole manner of meanings and not just to describe age, I think a lot of people really need to stop wearing the shire horse blinkers and start looking outside the box and adapt to changing time's. This thread has seriously nose dived out of topic by pointless boring post's pointing out that in someone elses opinion it's not a classic, I think they need to re grasp the concept of indviduality.

The way Martin is going on makes out that we should all be back in the dark ages with the outrages bold statements like the "if you can't spell" comments, Jesus there is seriously more to life than spelling and grammar, I wish all i had to worry about was someones silly mistakes but I must have a more interesting life and not be bothered with it :p

So who defines a classic, according to the post's so far it has to be old? which erm in this day and age is not the case. Old computers can be called classics but they are no where near the age that has been posted.

There seems to be to much of this "it's not a classic as I don't think its old enough" to me thats BS as a classic can be used for an item that is outdated by the new that the INDIVIDUAL prefers and classes as a classic, the word classic can be used for a whole manner of meanings and not just to describe age, I think a lot of people really need to stop wearing the shire horse blinkers and start looking outside the box and adapt to changing time's. This thread has seriously nose dived out of topic by pointless boring post's pointing out that in someone elses opinion it's not a classic, I think they need to re grasp the concept of indviduality.

The way Martin is going on makes out that we should all be back in the dark ages with the outrages bold statements like the "if you can't spell" comments, Jesus there is seriously more to life than spelling and grammar, I wish all i had to worry about was someones silly mistakes but I must have a more interesting life and not be bothered with it :p

james the dictonary definition of classic is "Something of quality which has stood the test of time"....

7 years iis hardly "the test of time" mate....

This is the problem of misusing your own language.

When you start using the word classic for something only 7 years old, then it is pointless having the word in the first place, which by its definition is to instantly convey to the litener/reader that the article in question is of good quality and of a certain age.

If you take away the true meaning from the usage of the word classic, then eventually it has no meaning and you will be back to having to explain or write in full "something of quality which has stood the test of time" instead of using the convenient word "classic."

The only form of music that can truly be described as classic is classical. ;)

not quite true C...

Classical music is defined as being" traditional or long standing form or style or written in the European tradition during a period lasting approximately from 1750 to 1830"...

Classic doesn't mean the same....:)

My definintion of a dance "classic" or as it should be called "a definitive or ground breaking track" is a track produced between 1986 - 1995 which meets the later definition.

My reason being these years covered all the main and sub genres of House, Acid,Techno, Trance and breaks.

I can in all honestly say there is nothing produced after 1995 that i would even consider to be a Classic dance track. Name me one track produced after that date that is considered a "classic" and i can find 3 or 4 produced years before in the same genre that it wouldnt hold a light too.

Just my 2p - Ive been collecting and playing and producing electronica from 1986 so in essence Age plays an important part on a persons definition of any track as a classic or even "anthem" - which is another story...

2 things have come out of this thread...........

1) You can't have your own opinion without it getting torn apart by someone who thinks they are right.

2) Found another person that is even more boring that RedM with the sad "Don't use the English language unless you use it correctly to the letter"

Come on guys there is more to life than using the English language correctly, also people are allowed there own opinion at the end of the day thats what makes us human, take that away and we wont be left with much.

2 things have come out of this thread...........

1) You can't have your own opinion without it getting torn apart by someone who thinks they are right.

It wasn't your opinion that was at fault james, it was the term you used to express it....:)

2) Found another person that is even more boring that RedM with the sad "Don't use the English language unless you use it correctly to the letter"

Come on guys there is more to life than using the English language correctly, also people are allowed there own opinion at the end of the day thats what makes us human, take that away and we wont be left with much.

Sorry James I don't get you mate...

What's boring about speaking your mother tongue properly?...

Sorry James I don't get you mate...

What's boring about speaking your mother tongue properly?...

You getting me all wrong mate, first of I hope you know i have only been teasing?

The boring part is not the speaking or the writing, it's the pointing it out that its not done correctly when this is just the net and not really real life in a sense but people choose to go a bit OTT with the constant pointing out the wrong use of the English language, not saying that you do it all the time but some do.

If anyone wants an idea of what constitutes a classic album then have a look at Nevermind by Nirvana.

*I should just add here that I'm not a fan of Nirvana so feel free to say it's shit or whatever. It's just for making a point.*

That was a record that managed to properly infuse rock songs with a punk aesthetic. It was critically acclaimed upon release and (some time later) gained enough momentum to become one of the best-selling records of all time. It had a massive cultural impact, part of which saw much of the rock crowd having to reappraise their sound and image. Nevermind is now widely regarded (and rightly so) as a classic album.

Although I find the songs a bit plodding and over-produced. Ho hum.

You getting me all wrong mate, first of I hope you know i have only been teasing?

The boring part is not the speaking or the writing, it's the pointing it out that its not done correctly when this is just the net and not really real life in a sense but people choose to go a bit OTT with the constant pointing out the wrong use of the English language, not saying that you do it all the time but some do.

Point taken James..

I just found it funny that something 7 years old could be called classic...:)