The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Engine went BANG

Guest deepcom

Guest deepcom

Hi All,

Am new to the forum so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I recently bought a UK Supra 1994 'L' Reg which had done just over 110,000 miles. (only had it 3 weeks)

Had it serviced end of last week and was on a long drive on Tuesday when the damn thing made a few ratcheting noises before shortly going BANG.... To cut a long story short the engine now appears to have worn excessively due to previous owner not taking too good care of it, and I am now left with a large whole in the block and sump (according to Toyota dealer). Am currently trying to resolve with the seller about who pays for a new one (and am considering court action as I'm sure you can understand) but in the meantime I am trying to find out a couple of things :

a) Will a Jap engine directly replace the UK version (obviously using my existing turbo's, injectors, exhaust etc etc)

b) Where can I purchase a refurb UK or Jap Engine for NOT a huge sum of money (considering Toyota have quoted me a huge figure for repair of existing engine)

c) Is there anyone on the forum who is able, or knows of someone who is able, to perform said swapout. I dont mind getting my hands dirty but have never swapped anything bigger than an old fiesta engine before so dont think I should do it myself.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if thats easier.

Thanks in advance,

A saddened newby. (Andy).

Hello Andy, and welcome.

Sorry to hear your bad news.

Your best bet is to find one that is breaking for spares. Try Supraman or Celica breakers. The number is on this link

Part suppliers

Your best bet is to try and get a UK one in my opinion, but that's mainly because I'm not too sure of what differences there are, particularly with the wiring connectors. To be absolutely sure try giving Leon at JPS motorsports a call on 01908 367100. I'm sure he'll be able to sort you out with either a bit of knowledge, supplying an engine, or doing the whole lot for you.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll get far with the person you bought the car from, unless it was with a garage and there was some kind of warranty then your laughing.

Anyway hope it gets sorted one way or another.

Regards