The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J-Spec vs UK Manifolds

michael

So many questions recently.... apologies!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there are any major differences between the UK and J-Spec manifolds other than the bolt pattern at the turbo and exhaust end?

Is the actual manifold itself the same kind of design internally etc?

I'll have a look around see if i can find anything useful. Someone may come along who's had the two side by side and can explain the real differnces.

I think that once you've got the hybrids, boost control will be fine on a J spec manifold anyway as the wastegate will no doubt be enlarged slightly.

So this here prespool pipe then.... is this a UK spec only feature that is likely to be present on UK hybrids too or one of those things they leave out when building them?

This J-Spec hybrids route seems to be riddled with potential obstacles but I seem to be overcoming most of them, I just don't want to end up with something important missing or compromising power / response for the sake of a pipe or two....

To be honest I don't know if this prespool pipe makes any difference to spool time, response, boost creep or outright power.

Also I do not know if a set of jdm vs uk hybrids (of equivalent spec) will produce different results. This is something I have always wondered about, whether to source a full uk assembly to "hybridize" or just use my J specs. Any idea if one manifold is better suited to mild porting?

Anyone have any good info regarding this? I guess you're hoping there's no real difference (which is probably true).

the pipe is nato spec, but the system is not. the jap turbo elbow is a different design that uses a slightly different method of prespool. the nato spec uses this pipe to allow some exhaust gas through the no2 and dumps it into no1's exhaust. it cant dump to no2's exhaust cos thats closed during prespool by the exhaust gas control valve. i think the turbo elbow designs are not the best, but very good for the sequential job they have to do.

stock, the uk turbos have a bigger a/r for top end, the jap turbine housing has a smaller a/r for response. u can change the a/r by changing the turbine but u cant change the turbine housing (without custom manifold). im not sure what differences the respective turbine housings have.

at the end of the day u'd need to get the complete assembly from engine to the first cat. r u getting a really good deal on the jap hybrids?

the uk manifold looks a bit bigger to me in them photos, but that could just b an illusion (ooo, ooo, ooo, ooo, ahhh, illusion :)). mike, i have a jap one off the car if u can get a uk to check against.