The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Building the 2JZ to withstand more power

GeordieSteve

The block being cast iron can pretty much handle anything...as long as the engine doesn't detonate.

I *believe* there is some scope to improve the flow of the water and oil ways to aid the lubrication and cooling systems but other than that it's really down to your choice of moving parts as to what will help it sustain HIGH HP levels.

If you're gutting an old engine to rebuild it's probably best to get it acid bathed and visially check the oil/coolant passages.

If you get serious detonation, any piston/rod/gasket will fail, irrespective of cost, bling, hype or how 'uprated' it is.

The trick is not trying to build a 'bulletproof' engine that will sustain damage, but avoid it starting in the first place.

Next to detonation, rods are usually damaged by severe over-revving.

The combustion forces from the pistons are trivial compared to the decelleration forces at TDC and BDC.

The beauty about turbos is that they allow huge power gains *without* having to increase the rev limit (it may still help with an extreme setup, but it is not compulsory)

Carillo H-Beam rods are the *best* for strength and weight.

The Pauter X-beams are a bit heavy IMO.

Piston wise, well it's hard to say what is better - I'd just gof or the lightest and remove the stress off the crank/rods.

GReddy and HKS use the Carillo Rods AFAIK.

If I was building my spare short block up to use I'd be using Pauter rods and CP Pistons with a stock based crank, stock main caps and new stock main bolts. If you were aiming for a steady 550-600bhp and say 1.4bar max you would probably be ok with stock pistons if trying to stick to a tight budget (upgraded rods and bolts though) but will suffer more blowby from piston distortion than with something like a CP piston (which are not expensive anyway).

Any decent forged or billet rod should be fine, as it's a long stroke engiine and you are unlikely to want to rev beyond 7500. Steel crank, forged or billet rods, JUN pistons, JUN cams and a decent head job should be all you need. Stock gaskets should be fine, the only bolts that need changing might be the head bolts. Crank girdle bolts are very unstressed and buying "fancy" ones is, IMO, a waste of money. The rods will come with decent bolts in them already. Get a decent bore and hone job done check bearings for alignment, decent full balance and a LOT of time and money mapping should be the basics.

Any decent forged or billet rod should be fine, as it's a long stroke engiine and you are unlikely to want to rev beyond 7500.

With a square bore and stroke of 86mm x 86mm you can hardly call it not long stroke, and as i have said before, it seems daft that it won't rev, unless the std dynamic balancing leaves a lot to be desired, the rest is in place, twin cams and solid lifters etc.

Square or not, in my book an 86 mm stroke is a LOONG stroke... :) At about 71 mm stroke and 86 mm bore the RB25 Skyline engine is a sweet unit, at 73.7 stroke and 86 mm bore the 2.6 litre RB26 is still nice, but the RB30 with 86 x 86 bore and stroke is a dog of a thing. The fact the Supra is as sweet as it is at 86 square is a testament to Toyota engineering, but to me it's long stroke ;)

What work needs done to the block to accept higher HP? I know around 500rwhp should be ok (to an extent) on the stock block, but what are the recommended engine upgrades for 600rwhp, 700rwhp etc.?

Don't know about the block but with 700Rwhp stain proof seats might be an idea :)