The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blue cloud behind my car

DannoSupra

i was sat in kfc drive through, i know fatty, well all of a sudden, blue smoke past my, lasted bout 3 - 4 seconds, After that i let it idle again outside work, and blipped the throttle, nothing,,, its a kinda come and go thing

My car's fully decatted UK spec, ohhh i also had my aircon on, so that will brinf up the revs, or put it under load wont it.

Any help?

Cheers

Dan

Mine has started doing this now and again, also when the aircon ups the revs slightly and the car's warm.

I'm thinking turbo seals :( But it also smokes at startup, usually meaning valve seals :conf:

There was a thread recently about a similar problem, autobox seal was another suggestion.

Sorry I can't be of more help, we need a definitive "my car's smoking" thread for the FAQ!

Turbo oil seals, your valve seals probably need doing as well though.

Changing to 10w30 helped save my blushes for a while but in the end I swapped the turbos, still need the valve seals doing though :(

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/smoke/DCP_3800.jpg

Guest Bijal

if it happens when cold starting its more than likely valve stem seals.

when it happens on boost its 1 of 3 things or a combination of 2, turbo(s), bad piston ring(s) or the MOST Common factor is over filling the oil :D

i see too many people over filling oil and this is a very common reason for blueish smoke on boost.

bijal

If your valve seals are dead (and it sounds like they are), couldn't it possibly be the seals letting a few drops of oil through whilst the engines idling? Wouldn't that give the blue smoke? It just seems odd to me that it might be the turbo seals when not boosting or under load.

All I can say is that I had exactly the same problem - sat in traffic, AC on... each time the engine revs went up for the AC to do it's thing a little puff of blue smoke appeared, under WOT it wouldn't really show. It was diagnosed as a lack of backpressure due to decat / exhaust which was highlighting the problem with the seals, had I still had the cat in it's unlikely I'd notice it but the issue would still be there.

All I can say it that I replaced the turbos and this little annoyance went away, I haven't replaced the stem seals as yet and the little bit on startup is still there.

is that bad? how much are we talking

More annoying than anything, it won't make the car blow up :)

People quote all kinds of prices for the job depending on the way they do it, for a proper head off affair it's something like £1000 because of the labour, for the 'rope trick' method you are looking at half that.

If you have a search for the guides on here to replacing your seals it'll shed more light.

Basically, it consists of inserting a bt of rope through the spark plug hole and compressing it with the cylinder. That means you can leave the head on and replace the valve seals/springs/retainers without fear of them dropping into the chamber.

lol, I got about a third of the way in and went throught the point of no return!

It's easy enough with the right tools, even though I lost a day to losing a couple of collets (pinged off into the front garden!)

Car hasn't blown up yet, and no smoky starts so must be a good sign! :D

I did consider taking the head off altogether, but decided against it as I don't know what kind of condition it's in, i.e. whether it's been skimmed or owt in the past. Figure I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're doing! :)