The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate size and position

MizTheWiz

Hi all

Number plates

Anyone no the regulations on numberplates.

I was wondering if i could make mine smaller or reposition it on the front of the car. is there a min size or position it has to be in.

have added pic to show position and size at the mo.

any ideas???

its a L reg japspec im the 1st owner since import.

Also while im here the importer has added a very large and ugly fog light to the rear is there anything you guys do or sugest so i can make it look better. if i get a smaller fog light is there a reg to size.

Hope you can help.

Miz.

pa180003.jpg

Originally posted by MizTheWiz

the importer has added a very large and ugly fog light to the rear is there anything you guys do or sugest so i can make it look better. if i get a smaller fog light is there a reg to size.

Hi Miz,

Probably best to lose the fog light altogether. That's what nearly everyone here has done (apart from Millhouse IIRC)

Also, you can get one of the two pairs of brakes lights wired up to be fog lights if you like.

--

Jake

Thanks for the replys guys

The numberplate question seems to be look at dvla site and guess what the hell it all means. Then do what you dare?? LMAO

As far as the fog light goes am going to go with the opton from TRL. Where the normal lights r used a a fog light, but still keeps the original light set up when fog light is switched off just takes a couple of relays. (link below)

Again thanks for your time.

http://WWW.thor-racing.co.uk/TRL/fcon.html

Has anybody else used this method and is there any unforseen problems i should look out for.

I had a new front plate made at the "Japs" show last year at Thoresby. It is 3" x 12" and has 2" high letters/numbers. Up here in Yorkshire our wonderful police force seem to be more concerned with doing what they are supposed to do rather than checking number plates on cars. Also it went through MOT with smaller plate on and examiner said it was ok. However I keep the original plate down the side of the drivers seat just in case, so I can quickly put it on top of the dash if necedssary !!!!! If my car was of the "boy racer" variety I think the police would take a different view about a "smaller" front plate.

Originally posted by MizTheWiz

Has anybody else used this method and is there any unforseen problems i should look out for.

On my car, when I brake with the fogs on, the 'bulb out' warning light lights on the dash. There is a fix for this, but I have never bothered doing it.

There are no regulations as to the size of your front number plate. However, there are rules regarding the height, width and stroke of the fonts, the spacing between them, and the top, bottom and side margins.

You can work the size out from there :)