The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SBC-ID3 Install

JamesArup

Righty,

I have my SBC-ID3 and a copy of the DSBC install guide from mkiv.com for reference ... So i'm going to pile in there and see if I can install it myself. I possess an unrivalled level of muppetry when it comes to this sort of thing .... so does anyone have any additional advice/pointers as to how to go about it?

I am slightly concerned about where the big black box (solenoid?) goes in the engine bay ... does anyone have any pics of there installs? I also have a PowerMeter and harness on the way - would it be a PITA to fit that after the ID3, or should I wait and do them all at the same time?

Lastly ... How have people fitted the unit into the spare DIN slot? Just some kind of blanking plate with the SBC and Powermeter stuck on?

Cheers, James :cool:

p.s. If anyone is driving through Windlesham tomorrow, feel free to pop in and laugh at my efforts :p

Heh heh! Yeah ... That could be interesting! I had an AVC-R in my old car and I had some fun trying to set that sod up!! :conf:

Did yours come from Japan? I managed to get the English manuals off here last night and they certainly help to clarify the setup procedure a bit more :thumbs: .

Cheers, J :cool:

Did yours come from Japan? I managed to get the English manuals off here last night and they certainly help to clarify the setup procedure a bit more .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes James I think I got mine from the same supplier as you

I,ve bin looking at the manuals for the past week trying to understand things, now the unit has arrived things should become clearer:)

Yes I am indeed much smarter than I let on, otherwise people would think I'm a c**t.

The fact that I'm gonna spend all day tomorrow ripping the SBC and Powermeter out tomorrow and redoing it (it just don't sit straight enough) means that I am also a perfectionist.

Plus the car is in need of it's weekly clean and polish! :p :p

So a day of soopra stuf is on the cards tomorrow.

Ben..

Just reporting in at "half-time". It all seems to be going pretty well so far - although I am only working on the electrics side of things at the mo, rather than the engine-bay stuff!

Ben - You don't happen to have any close-up pics of where the 2 hoses coming from the solenoid actually go do you (after they go under the air intake piping)? There is a pic on the mkiv.com guide, but it's quite hard to make out as the hoses are black. Should be much easier to see with your purple hoses?

Cheers, James

:cool:

Right I just went out to take some photos, but to be honest - they are crap and will make you probably even more confused.

Basically I capped of the pipes as shown in the mkiv.com version, and also made sure I blocked the other ends off.

Then you have to look down past the plug cover and you will see the side of the turbo, with a small outlet and pipe on it. This pipe will feed through to the wastegate actuator closest to the front of the engine bay. What the solenoid needs to do, is sit in between this pipe. The turbo outlet needs to be piped to the "IN" on the solenoid, and then the "OUT" on the solenoid will go to the actuator. This is how it stops the car from dumping boost, and increases it instead.

Ahhh, cool. Cheers Ben - I think I've got that. How did you cap the pipes off by the way - just a bolt or something?

I will do the rest tomorrow I think. Everything is installed and wired in and that all seems to work fine (I have no problem with the electrics side of things :innocent: ). The wires have all been fed into the engine bay, and the solenoid itself is pretty much in position. So all that is left to do is literally just the hoses. The 2 questions I have after the end of the day are: -

1. Where do people put the little silver 'control' box? I stuck it to the 'roof' of the footwell (above all the pedals), where it was easy to tap into my boost gauge.

2. How do you fasten the solenoid to the strut tower. There was one hole there that the supplied bolt fitted into perfectly, and it seems to hold the unit in place pretty securely. But there is no 'premade' hole for the other side of the solenoid. Do you just make your own hole, or leave it as it is?

Thanks for all your help ... much appreciated! :cool:

Right, firstly the attached pic shows (just about) where the "IN" pipe goes to. I took the photo leaning over the plug cover looking down onto the front turbo. The other end of the original pipe is where the "OUT" pipe goes to. That should help you with that part.

I capped the pipes off with a bolt and a jubilee clip, would of used rubber caps, but I didn't have any, so thought this would be the best way.

The little silver box is sat underneath the stereo on mine. I don't have an active spoiler button and stuff so it fits nicely. I didn't plumb it into my boost gauge piping, I fed it up into the engine for it's own feed. It seems to come with better connectors than my boost gauge and I wanted it to be reading very accurately - whereas I'm sure my boost gauge maybe slightly out.

For the solenoid, I just got 2 self tapping screws and drilled two holes into the top of the strut tower and fastened that way. Works very well.

HTH

Ben..

dscn0540.jpg

Hurrah .... Mission accomplished. Thanks again for your help Ben, would have been stumped without it I reckon!

One 'slight' (ahem :conf: ) problem. I set it to 1 bar and went off for a drive up the road. I had already set the warning level to 1.2 bar .. just incase. So off I go up the road, car is nice and warm, so I shoe it. 2nd turbo comes online and all hell breaks loose - Great! :cool: :cool: . I got to a roundabout and saw that I had peaked at 1.12 bar - which I guessed was ok as the unit is still learning.

However .... pulled away from the roundabout - NO BOOST!!! Drove home for 5 mins with no boost at all! I thought it may be one of the I/C pipes that had blown off (it's happened before), but they all check out ok!! Turned the car off, then on again hoping that it may reset something in the ID3 ... but still NO BOOST!! :eek: :eek: . Any ideas? Is there a setting in the ID3 that I have missed that needs resetting now? Theoretically, if one of the caps I made for the now unused pipes wasn't working properly ... would that give me no boost?

Thx for your help,

Erm, sounds like an intercooler pipe to me, but......

You do have the unit set up correctly don't you?

The Actuator/Wastegate should be set to Actuator.

And DO NOT HAVE IT SET TO AUTO!! It does not work on the sequential setup. You have to set them manually.

What sort of mods do you have, and have you set up the speed map??

Ben..

Ahhhhh! Problem solved ... Well, not really :conf:

It felt like a boost pipe, so I looked EVERYWHERE, until I saw something nasty!!! My Blow-Off valve has actually torn itself to pieces!! The flange (i'm sure that's a rude word :p ) where it sits in the hardpipe (held by the big circlip) has actually been shattered off the dump valve itself!!! :confused: :confused:. Luckily, I ordered an SQV off Paul E a while ago, and I am due to be picking that up tomorrow - fate huh!

I've attached a pic of the resulting mess. It's hard to see, but that 'shattered' looking black ring round the outside of the hole is actually part of the DV :eek: .

Cheers again for your help,

James

p.s. Although I don't think I have the SBC set to manual. I'll make sure I do that!