The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Low oil pressure

Guest Danny.

Guest Danny.

Hello Supra people.

My car had a water leak from one of the rubber heater hoses at the back of the engine bay today. It didn't lose all the water and the temp gauge didn't show above normal (halfway). However since the hose problem the Low Oil Pressure light (the red one) is coming on at low revs and the engine is rattling quite badly from the bottom end, also only at low revs.

Compression test is OK.

I presume the engine will have to come out and have everything checked over and at the very least the conrod bearings and main bearings replaced.

But what could be causing the low oil pressure? Should I change the oil pump while the engine is out? What else could cause low oil pressure?

Thank you

--

Daniel

1997 VVTi TT Auto

If any of the ends have been going over time, you will get a build up of swarf on the oil pump filter gause, this gradually builds up until the pump cant do its job 100% and the end usually goes at this stage. If the noise rises inline with revs and is very noticable at around 3000rpms then yup i would say defo an end bearing. I Think the hose episode just happened at the same time but is totally unrelated.