The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Problems

Paul R

I'm much happier tonight!

I changed the plugs for the cheap NGK plugs that Matt suggested and guess what??

It works!! Spool up is quick and clean, no miss fires and there appears to be about twice as much power as there was before!!! yay, I can spin the wheels in 4th gear again :eek: :eek:

Paul E - I have checked the hoses and I've found a leak from one.

It's the hardpipe from the turbo to the first join. It looks like someone has tried to get the rubber seal in between this pipe and the next off with a screwdriver.

This has dented the pipe on the end and the rubber seal isnt long enough to cover it. I can tell this because a bit of fresh oild has come out since I wiped it clean.

Can you get me another pipe?

Cheers,

Paul.

Originally posted by Paul E

There ya go - yes no worries on pipes but not a bloody clue which one you are on about!:)

Give me the length and internal diameter and I'll send you a piece

Hi,

it's a pipe with two curves in it:

1, is the pipe.

2, is where it is leaking.

The pipe is about 13.5" long and 2.5" in diameter.

http://www.supra-shop.co.uk/turbo/pipe2.jpg

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

Cool, glad it's all working now Paul... And I'm glad I was wrong! :innocent:

Thanks Matt.

It's made a hell of a difference!

I tought the clutch had gone to start with ! lol...

The wheels were spinning in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th!! upto about 80mph. I got scared after that and calmed down!

Will these plugs (NGK BKR7E's) be OK for running 1.2bar too?

Cheers,

Paul.

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

Yes, but the gap should be reduced to 0.8, (if it hasn't already).

OK, cheers.

I set the gap on all the plugs to 1.1mm before I put them in.

Is there a way to test the HKS iridium plugs that I took out?? They dont look too bad to me.

Paul.

Originally posted by Paul E

Paul - you will just need to unscrew the existing silicon hose clamp - reposition slightly and re-clamp

It should take a few minutes and all will be well - the small leak really wont make much difference at all - so dont worry

:thumbs:

Paul,

I tried that already. The silicone hose isnt long enough. I've checked again today and oil has pissed out in the engine bay again!

Paul.

Originally posted by Paul R

Paul,

I tried that already. The silicone hose isnt long enough. I've checked again today and oil has pissed out in the engine bay again!

Paul.

It's only residual oil - they obviously haven't been taken off for a while

Take them off completely and wipe the one inside and out and replace carefully - but firmly (Oo-er missus!)

I dont have 2.5" hose in stock at mo - give one of your local pipe guys a call and check - you need internal diameter 2.5" - prob 2x10cms

Otherwise it's a wait till some comes in -

:( :thumbs:

Hi,

Well it looks like this thread has a happy ending!!

I changed the silicone connecting hoses between the intercooler hard pipes this morning. what can I say - big *grin*. I took the car out and there is a big power increase!

I was only hitting 0.8 bar before, now it's hitting 0.9 bar! The turbos spool quicker and the dump valve has a louder whoosh!

So thanks for all the info/advice guys!

Paul.