The mkiv Supra Owners Club

F1 - New rules for 2008

Alex

"Computer software giant Microsoft was chosen as single supplier for engine electronic control units."

The Williams team have denied the rumours that they have already ordered three extra keys for their 2008 steering wheels...Alt Ctrl and Del :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/5151060.stm

So that's F1 royally shagged now...BSOD on an engine :shock:

I think we'll still be MS ecu 3.1 :(

Never mind the ECU's crashing, as long as we can keep the bloody Super Aguri's from crashing into us that would be a starter for 10.

The interesting thing about the engine freeze is the fact that we've already had to submit engines for homologation, but we can keep developing the current engines until the end of 2007, but then we'll have to go backwards to the engine that was homologated in June this year. Now that is crazy!

I personally think that a single tyre will improve the sport massively. No more Michelin or Bridgestone dominated circuits.

Tony,

Can you just clear this up for me...the engine deal, does it mean that they can't upgrade the engine for 3 years apart from for safety/mounting reasons. Or are they just limited to a number of upgrades per year?

I'm pretty sure it's the former..

Are you at your new employers now?

More breaking news:

Changing more than 3 wheels at a time will result in the team having to phone Microsoft to re-register the ECU.

Changing the gearbox will result in the ECU needing to be wiped and re flashed. (And registered again!)

Also the teams will have to download an updated updating software plugin everytime they wish to change the map.