The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Future Motorsports Supra......

Guest Bijal

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very interesting thread Bijal! ... all 173 posts. As for the turbo-bit .. I can't comment any techie stuff being a non-techie.

But for people like myself, who know very little on the subject - are stupid. ;) Appologies, that is a broad-statement ... but the fact is - I'm a lab-rat. I spend my days working with GSM BTS's, BSC's, MSC's, VLR & HLR's. As a non-techie car person, I rely quite abit on the search button, reading threads and talking to other people .. who are more knowledgble than I.

So, no - I don't think it's silly at all. If I read conflicting information - it's going to confuse me - even more - because of my lack of technical competence.

From those that know me - then you'll know I'm not the quickest of cats in the alley when it concerns cars - I'll freely admit that. To me, a turbo is a metal thing that sits on the left in my engine bay that blows air. So thus, I'm asking out of a genuine reason.

What reason(s), or perhaps application(s) .. would a HKS turbo benefit me - as joe public ? In other words, what I'm trying to say .. is what factors would make me choose a HKS unit over another brand. I'm forgetting the £££ .. or any shiny bling etc .. what I'm trying to get at is, if someone said to me:

What are those applications and what are the corresponding reasons ?

I think Mig - summed it up:

Bijal .. have your sources/customers in the middle east provided you with their feedback on the HKS units ? If your customers gave you some data, of their experience. .. (and as long as someone could explain the data to me ;) ) .. I think that would prove useful, not only for your own project .. but for the rest of the Supra community.

Also, what kind of circuit setup will you be looking at ? Have you planned any circuit testing - inorder to get the most out of your setup ? And if so, how will you be collating the track data ? And what kind of track data will you be collating ?

What criteria will you be choosing the HKS turbo .. for the circuit ? What I mean is, what kind of racing factors will you have to consider .. to make you use HKS turbo x .. rather than HKS turbo y ?

Chris asked a good question here ..

I know someone also asked about brakes too.

What is your choice of ECU ? Will it be standalone or piggyback ? .. and what techie criteria did you choose ECU X over ECU Y ? Exhaust manifolds ? Cast / Tubular .. or perhaps something else ?

How or will Aerodynamics come into play ? What I mean is, will you being using Toyota tested bumper, spoiler etc. Or will you be factoring in aftermarket bodykit .. in your testing ?

What I meant was you should never make a selection on a turbo based on one persons comments. You need to use some common sense. Research, research and more research is needed.

Saying that though, you would not be doing yourself any harm in getting an HKS turbo apart from paying over the odds for the HKS name and different housings/wheels...

At the end of the day I took this thread for what it was which was one persons OPINION (Not fact) on what he thinks is the best to use for HIS application.

I understand the need to challenge someone when they make statements that do not sit right. I also understand when your beating a dead horse and it is time to move on. As I said a few pages ago, anyone with some common sense could clearly see that Bijal was not going to be able to produce the technical info to back his claim. It should have been left at that as most people can make their own conclusions from what was said by all parties.

I find these threads interesting. Nothing to do with Bijal or anyone else though. I like the comments that a mod should trim the thread down. I bet if we did there would be another thread created with a title along the lines of "Nice to see the police state is alive and well and living on this site!" wouldn't there Mr Prawn! :cool:

We have had this situation before. A trader posts up their opinion, but fails to mention it is only their opinion so it reads to most people as either being fact or that they are at least claiming it is fact. Others then question it, quite rightly, and instead of just correcting the mistake they try to argue it, and eventually it ends up where we are now with people taking sides and fighting over stuff which has nothing to do with the original subject.

I have already spoken to Bijal via PM. He asked me to delete this thread. I said no. He asked me to trim the thread, again I said no. Not because I'm taking sides, but because there really was no reason to. Ignoring what Bijal intended to do, what he did do was post up a statement which he couldn't back up when challenged. Deleting/trimming/locking such a thread would only get the "This site is run for the traders not the members" possie out in full force. As this site is not run for the traders, and is run for the members, I felt it best to leave the thread to it's own devices. It's not the first time a trader has got a bit of egg on their face from making unprovable claims, and it's never down them any harm before now so I don't see why this thread will be any different. If I did delete the thread then people are more likely to think Bijal has something to hide and that could do more damage to consumer confidence then just leaving it.

I am, however, a fairly reasonable person, and offered to copy this thread into Bijal section. As all traders have moderation rights over their sections he could then trim the thread right back, edit his posts to clearly show the comments where only his opinion, and the two threads could continue along seperate paths. One showing his project car, and this one debating turbo specs. Bijal didn't agree this this, but suggested pruning this thread and creating a seperate technical section thread for the turbo debate. For reasons already stated above, I said no.

So to everyone, I have given Bijal the option of copying this thread so he can trim it, get it back on subject and continue the discussion of his project. I am now waiting for a reply. If someone wants to start a serious discussion about the turbo differences in the technical forum then please do.

I would suggest this thread just gets left now.

EDIT - Just removed my Jake/Si comment as it'll teach me not to have so many forum windows open that I get mixed up as to who said what in which thread!

Bijal has agreed to continue the discussion about his project car in his section, the thread can be found here for those interested.

I'd ask this thread be left now. If someone whats to start a proper discussion about turbo differences then the technical forum is the place for it.

lol, the same could be said about you and turbofit

Not at all, ive recomended terry to a few people,he had a chat with a mate of mine not long ago who needs a new engine.

I dont remember saying anything about turbofit, i just didnt like it when you kept having sly digs in every turbofit thread because he said your car looked pretty:D

Not at all, ive recomended terry to a few people,he had a chat with a mate of mine not long ago who needs a new engine.

I dont remember saying anything about turbofit, i just didnt like it when you kept having sly digs in every turbofit thread because he said your car looked pretty:D

ok Jamie, i dont want to open up another dispute about my feelings about turbofit, but it was not because of the comments of Greg, it was about other issues that cused ill feeling.. but i have also said in previous threads that i will no longer comment on turbofit so i will leave it at that for now..

my comment was no different than yours, claming that we are all terry's pets,

ok Jamie, i dont want to open up another dispute about my feelings about turbofit, but it was not because of the comments of Greg, it was about other issues that cused ill feeling.. but i have also said in previous threads that i will no longer comment on turbofit so i will leave it at that for now..

my comment was no different than yours, claming that we are all terry's pets,

I never metioned your name. but you said it;)

Im not getting into it, but thats not the reason he digs at them.