The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Future Motorsports Supra......

Guest Bijal

the thing that we were disputing really was that they are no better or have not been proven to be better than the Garrett range of turbos. The T04z seems to have an identical spec to the T67dbb and if this is the case, why pay double the price for the HKS??

TBH i dont know why the premium but lets face it would you buy a sony or panasonic TV or a beko one?? both do a job?

This has also been done to death on the skyline board and no one every wins, its all personnel preference like TV's :D

Until someone actually gets the same 2 turbos with the correct timing gear/dyno etc and tests them back to back i dont think you will ever know??

Mike

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH i dont know why the premium but lets face it would you buy a sony or panasonic TV or a beko one?? both do a job?

This has also been done to death on the skyline board and no one every wins, its all personnel preference like TV's :D

Until someone actually gets the same 2 turbos with the correct timing gear/dyno etc and tests them back to back i dont think you will ever know??

Mike

its a known fact that Beko have cheaper internals. The HKS and Garrett turbos are supposedly the same internals:d

its a known fact that Beko have cheaper internals. The HKS and Garrett turbos are supposedly the same internals:d

supposedly :search:

i can find out if someone really want to know the actual difference as i used to do alot of work for Honeywell (garretts) in cheadle where they make all the performance turbos?

does that mean you can get cheap turbos too?:cool:

yes i used to be able to so i went one day to see my contact armed with a nice list of what i wanted ie a pair of T28 roller bearing turbos for my 300zx a few years ago and he came back to me with we make about a thousand different types of T28's so would need an exact garrett model number thats specific to that turbo?! so i gave up because i couldnt find it :)

Sorry to go off at a tangent to the original thread

Mike

all i am saying is NONE of us has had experience on these turbos TOGETHER and had a chance to test them, therefor a conclusion cannot be met between the 2 turbos in a controlled and equal environment test.

Hang on a minute!

I'm not hating or just trying to pi$$ someone off here (as someone else said), but a question has been asked regarding claims made on this thread by Bijal.

Here you go:

yes the hks turbo by far is the best in the market. i have said this time and time again and proven it but some people seem to think its the same as the garret based versions which is not true and totally incorrect. certain threads have been proven and shut a few people up in the debate on hks turbos.

That sounds like a conclusion to me and I am sceptical about what exactly (if anything) has 'been proven'. At no point in the above post did Bijal say 'in my opinion' nor anything like it. He claimed that the HKS kit 'by far is the best in the market'.

To be honest, this really doesn't affect me in the slightest as I have no intention of going down the single route in the foreseeable, but I don't like people making sweeping statements that may alter how members on here decide on what kit to put in their cars and blatantly having NO evidence to back up their claims.

Bijal went on to say:

i agree 200%, hks turbos are the best, not because its hks but the design and technology gone into it is just amazing.

Bijal, you really should have some sort of technical data to make such a claim. If you have this information, I'm sure there are some of us here who would be interested in just what 'design and technology' it is that makes the HKS units so far ahead of the Garrett ones.

Guest Bijal
Hang on a minute!

I'm not hating or just trying to pi$$ someone off here (as someone else said), but a question has been asked regarding claims made on this thread by Bijal.

Here you go:

That sounds like a conclusion to me and I am sceptical about what exactly (if anything) has 'been proven'. At no point in the above post did Bijal say 'in my opinion' nor anything like it. He claimed that the HKS kit 'by far is the best in the market'.

To be honest, this really doesn't affect me in the slightest as I have no intention of going down the single route in the foreseeable, but I don't like people making sweeping statements that may alter how members on here decide on what kit to put in their cars and blatantly having NO evidence to back up their claims.

Bijal went on to say:

Bijal, you really should have some sort of technical data to make such a claim. If you have this information, I'm sure there are some of us here who would be interested in just what 'design and technology' it is that makes the HKS units so far ahead of the Garrett ones.

ok, give me proof that they are not?

Guest Bijal
Hang on a minute!

Here you go:

Bijal went on to say:

how can you be stupid enough to say to me that what i say has an effect on other people buying turbos....thats the damn case with EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD. not just in my statment.

Guest Bijal

i stand true to what i say...it is my OPINION, however way i come accross.

if you dont like ti then tough. not my problem.

the intentions to this thread has been made clear, simple and to the point that Syed made.

Guest Bijal
woah woah woah woah woah woah!

HKS vs Garrett. Look no-ones got any imperical proof, otherwise it would have been posted already.

Let's move on. Bijal is using a HKS turbo. Fair enough. Let's hear about the rest of the build eh?

exactly....this is MY thread, it is obviously going to have my expressions and personal opinions towards the thousands of pounds on this project.

there is no proof of garrett being better than hks or hks being better than garrett. merly claims on my part and others alike through personal experience. whats wrong with that?

ok, give me proof that they are not?

Oh, FFS!

I'm not the one making claims here. I would just like to know how much better this HKS unit is and why. Are we not entitled to ask that?

Please can you also square these 2 statements made by your good self because they appear to be 180 degrees apart!

hks turbos are the best, not because its hks but the design and technology gone into it is just amazing.

we are end users and will NEVER know which turbo is better no matter who you ask the question to.

I don't think it unreasonable to ask this. I'm not saying you aren't telling the truth, just that the more you don't explain this, the more sceptical I am getting.

I AM interested in people producing track cars that will get the Supra noticed - of course I am. But I like to know that the people I take advise from know what they are talking about. (CW for example)

Guest Bijal
Oh, FFS!

I'm not the one making claims here. I would just like to know how much better this HKS unit is and why. Are we not entitled to ask that?

neither am i, i only said they are the best turbos in the sense myself expresing my opnion on them.

if you want to know how much better the hks units are then why ask me? i dont have the answers to that. go and ask hks or garrett and maybe they might give you their biased opinions?

your still in BPU level and clearly have had no experience with the hks units to give a comment on them.

Guest Bijal

Please can you also square these 2 statements made by your good self because they appear to be 180 degrees apart!

Originally Posted by Future Motorsports

hks turbos are the best, not because its hks but the design and technology gone into it is just amazing.

whats wrong with what i said? i dont see anything offensive there? do you? just a personal experience on them and my opinion.

Guest Bijal

I don't think it unreasonable to ask this. I'm not saying you aren't telling the truth, just that the more you don't explain this, the more sceptical I am getting.

Originally Posted by Future Motorsports

we are end users and will NEVER know which turbo is better no matter who you ask the question to.

whats wrong with that comment? its an obvious conclusion?

Guest Bijal

I AM interested in people producing track cars that will get the Supra noticed - of course I am. But I like to know that the people I take advise from know what they are talking about. (CW for example)

ok, so i will stop posting on this thread, not bother posting the project up.

and finaly,if theres no good advice for you to take from here then why are you even wasting your time posting here to make a point that is beyond the post itself?

obviously anything said by myself on this post clearly is of useless information for you and your pals so i'll stop posting here.

Bijal,

You are so right that I am only at BPU level and have had no experience with the hks units to give a comment on them.

Hence why I have not made any judgement or comment suggesting a preference either way on these turbos.

You are a trader/tuner and have said you have proven that HKS is the best on the market. I really did want to know how this superiority manifested itself, just because I was interested. I HAVE HKS stuff in my car that I am happy with, and have no dispute with your opinion as we are all entitled to our opinions. But when you start making claims that one turbo is proven to be better than another, then you really should expect people (such as traders who deal with Garrett) to want to know what the evidence is to support your claims.

Anyway, I simply wanted to discuss what made one item superior to another and asked some questions accordingly which you appear to have ignored or missed. There really is no reason for either of us to get heated about this. If you don't have an answer to the question (which you have now said you don't) then I worry that you made such claims in the first place.

I'm sure you still have much to contribute to this board. I will be interested to see how this project progresses and how your research can benefit us all.

Guest Bijal
Bijal,

You are so right that I am only at BPU level and have had no experience with the hks units to give a comment on them.

Hence why I have not made any judgement or comment suggesting a preference either way on these turbos.

You are a trader/tuner and have said you have proven that HKS is the best on the market. I really did want to know how this superiority manifested itself, just because I was interested. I HAVE HKS stuff in my car that I am happy with, and have no dispute with your opinion as we are all entitled to our opinions. But when you start making claims that one turbo is proven to be better than another, then you really should expect people (such as traders who deal with Garrett) to want to know what the evidence is to support your claims.

Anyway, I simply wanted to discuss what made one item superior to another and asked some questions accordingly which you appear to have ignored or missed. There really is no reason for either of us to get heated about this. If you don't have an answer to the question (which you have now said you don't) then I worry that you made such claims in the first place.

I'm sure you still have much to contribute to this board. I will be interested to see how this project progresses and how your research can benefit us all.

i have said I have proven the hks turbo is superior compared to other common turbos in the market TO MYSELF and people i know. they were claims from my personal experience gained and opinions expressed accordingly. this experience has come in a form of learning spool charecteristics, drivabilty etc compared to other turbos i have used. i have found EVERYTIME HKS to exceed my expectations.

yes i always wish there is alternative cheaper tubos out there, yes there are turbos that match them very close but NEVER have the edge on them like HKS does.

it is very easy to become a garrett agent or sub agent. no big deal. all i am saying is from my experience hks is the best. i will KEEP saying that until i am proven wrong. when and if i am proven wrong then i will happily change my views and add that new information into my brain and class it as a learning curv.

and we go back in circles again, give me proof that the garrett turbo is far superior or the same as the hks turbo? you want to contradict my personal experience like it is a sin i have made, then please humor me with proof too.

i made the claims through personal experience. they are valid claims, and thats all they are until proven or personally experienced. simple as.

Bijal,

Completely agree Soop.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and people will always do things differently and a well argued tech thread makes great reading, especially to someone like me with limited knowledge.

Surely the whole point of a thread like this is to detail what you've done, and to answer questions?

I've also been told that the HKS Turbos are just rebadged (rehoused to be specific) Garret turbos. :shrug: