The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drag tyre's and wheels - recommendations?

Homer

Any chance of clearing uk brakes with a set of these??

No chance with 15's, only 16's ive ever heard that will clear uk brakes are rx7 wheels, even with them its hit and miss though, i hear they made two types that look identical but some fit, some dont.

Good advice, for cheapness I was going to get a pair of rear j spec 16x9's I am also tempted to get a set of these sent over http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/prochallenger.html but I don't quite understand backspace etc??!

Gimme a shout when u order these mate depending how fcked my engine is i might get a set with your order. How much do they charge shipping to uk? Might do a deal on 2 sets ;)

Good advice, for cheapness I was going to get a pair of rear j spec 16x9's I am also tempted to get a set of these sent over http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/prochallenger.html but I don't quite understand backspace etc??!

Good find, you need a 7.5" backspace on a 15"x10" wheel. i think the pcd is 5x4.5

was going to post up something about drag wheels/tyres some time soon, but may aswell ask here.

i've been looking on ebay a while for 15x10 wheels and I think that site looks like good prices so would be intrested to know how you get on if you order from there.

i have 18x9 with a 245/18/40 tyre on the front so what size drag tyre would I need to match the 15x10 wheel to the front wheel/tyre?

also where is the best place to buy from when I find out the size I want?

and then is there much differences between the road legal drag tyres and track only?,

if yes Im I right to think i'd be better getting the track only drag tyres to swap when at santa pod and just stick with the r888's for the road?

was going to post up something about drag wheels/tyres some time soon, but may aswell ask here.

i've been looking on ebay a while for 15x10 wheels and I think that site looks like good prices so would be intrested to know how you get on if you order from there.

i have 18x9 with a 245/18/40 tyre on the front so what size drag tyre would I need to match the 15x10 wheel to the front wheel/tyre?

also where is the best place to buy from when I find out the size I want?

and then is there much differences between the road legal drag tyres and track only?,

if yes Im I right to think i'd be better getting the track only drag tyres to swap when at santa pod and just stick with the r888's for the road?

Front wheel size makes no odds to what size drag rears you run.

Lots of places to buy from, LA racing, websters, hoosier uk to name a few.

Stick with radial drag tyres unless you are going to fit non radials up front.

No drag radials should really be used on the street, they are not E marked, lots of people do use them though, but its a risk.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Front wheel size makes no odds to what size drag rears you run.

Lots of places to buy from, LA racing, websters, hoosier uk to name a few.

Stick with radial drag tyres unless you are going to fit non radials up front.

No drag radials should really be used on the street, they are not E marked, lots of people do use them though, but its a risk.

ok thanks I'd just read this bit on the first page though ''255 x 16" x 50 Mickey Thompson ET Streets. Road and MOT legal and grip brilliantly.''

Are there none that are actually road legal then Jamie?

They need to be E marked to be legal i think, not that it would bother me tbh, my hoosier drag radials even say "not for highway use" stamped on the side.

Jamie, would the backspace be different depending on what suspension you have? I take it some will have more clearance than others? Or are you basing the 7.5" on the clearance needed at the arch end?

They are a tight fit both sides, mine fitted with my CW setup but only just, tyre was very close to the spring, better to run tighter spring coilovers such as teins.

Only MT street radials mate. Or the BF Goodrich versions

MT's are not E marked either, not sure about the bfg's, ive got some in the shed though so can have a look tomorrow.

They need to be E marked to be legal i think, not that it would bother me tbh, my hoosier drag radials even say "not for highway use" stamped on the side.

They are a tight fit both sides, mine fitted with my CW setup but only just, tyre was very close to the spring, better to run tighter spring coilovers such as teins.

Wow, was that pre or post roll?

pre, i dont have any clearance issues now, i even run a 20mm slip on spacer to centre the wheels on the hub and push them out a bit further now.

Yeah. Not that I'm going down that route, but I guess if I was 6" backspace would be more ideal on overfenders... to have it central like you say?

• 3 months later...