The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drag tyre's and wheels - recommendations?

Homer

Not sure if this is Supra chat or technical...

After horrendous grip problems at Santa Pod, I think I need to invest in some decent tyre's to get the most out of the car. I'm looking for recommendations for drag tyre's and wheels. Some questions:

- Is a smaller wheel diameter preferred? Presumably larger sidewall height is preferred...

- Is a stock 16 rear wheel (9x16 I think) wide enough, or do I need more?

- What are the preferred drag tyre's sizes? I saw both Justin and the Envy car had very large diameter MT's on and seemed to have fantastic grip at Jap Show.

- Do arches generally need rolling to fit decent size tyre's?

- Supplier's? :)

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks Jamie. Greg seemed to be having serious grip problems though and the tyre's just didn't seem to fit well (lowish sidewall and quite skinny compared to those that Justin and Envy were using). I know he has much, much more power than me though!

Darryl, give Ian a call at the link Jamie put up and tell him your power etc and what you'd like (drag or street legal). He also does the alloys too.

Thanks mate. Have you had any experience with the drag tyre's yet? If so how different are they to streets in terms of the burnout and launch?

Not sure if this is Supra chat or technical...

After horrendous grip problems at Santa Pod, I think I need to invest in some decent tyre's to get the most out of the car. I'm looking for recommendations for drag tyre's and wheels. Some questions:

- Is a smaller wheel diameter preferred? Presumably larger sidewall height is preferred...

- Is a stock 16 rear wheel (9x16 I think) wide enough, or do I need more?

- What are the preferred drag tyre's sizes? I saw both Justin and the Envy car had very large diameter MT's on and seemed to have fantastic grip at Jap Show.

- Do arches generally need rolling to fit decent size tyre's?

- Supplier's? :)

Thanks in advance :)

- Is a smaller wheel diameter preferred? Presumably larger sidewall height is preferred... Larger sidewall is needed. This means smaller wheel size will have to happen to keep rolling radius samish

- Is a stock 16 rear wheel (9x16 I think) wide enough, or do I need more? I use 16" stockers mate. Do a good job and some people use RX7 Wheels on Supes too. They are wide enough. I don't slip any more but did badly on normal road tyres

- What are the preferred drag tyre's sizes? I saw both Justin and the Envy car had very large diameter MT's on and seemed to have fantastic grip at Jap Show. 255 x 16" x 50 Mickey Thompson ET Streets. Road and MOT legal and grip brilliantly. YOU NEED TO WARM THEM UP though for at least a 5, 6 second burnout or they won't be as good.

- Do arches generally need rolling to fit decent size tyre's? Don't think so

- Supplier's? :) Websters as Jamie says. That is where I buy my tyres from. This is Ian behind my car dringking tea!http://website.lineone.net/~jmoat/Jap_Show_06/thumbs_d/md_IMG_9102a_jpg.html

Hope this helps mate.

Presuming I run something like 255 x 50 x 16" MT's what sort of tyre pressure should I go for considering I'm only BPU (330-360rwhp dependant on dyno). I've heard anything from 14 to 26psi recommended by the pro's.

Practise your burnouts next :D

Funily enough I've only ever managed one proper burnout, and that at santa pod in February.

I've hopefully got my hands on Dude's line lock kit so that should help get the rears heated properly next time round!

Thanks again :)

why et streets? drag radials are good too.i did a 1.730 60 foot on them.they amazing.also you have to think that et streets can be a bit hairy top end and may step out,using skinnie wheels up front help to keep it in a staight line.

i use bfg`s on 17" rims

they were about 150 pounds each

why et streets? drag radials are good too.i did a 1.730 60 foot on them.they amazing.also you have to think that et streets can be a bit hairy top end and may step out,using skinnie wheels up front help to keep it in a staight line.

i use bfg`s on 17" rims

they were about 150 pounds each

Are the BFG's better Mark? For what reasons dya reckon?

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/gforce_ta_drag_radial.pdf look nice though.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I just wanted to bump this thread up as it does have some good info for guys not knowing much about a drag setup with suprapod coming up. Has much changed in nearly 3 years?

Choices of 15/16/17" wheels?

Choices of tyres too, are Micky t's still a great tyre?

I just wanted to bump this thread up as it does have some good info for guys not knowing much about a drag setup with suprapod coming up. Has much changed in nearly 3 years?

Choices of 15/16/17" wheels?

Choices of tyres too, are Micky t's still a great tyre?

The smaller the wheel diameter the better imo, less chance of breaking something with more give in the tyre wall.

Go 15's if you can id say, though i did my 10.5 on a pair of 17" volks but i was getting a lot of wheel hop.

Not much between any of the drag radials i reckon, ive gone with Hoosier's' this year, uk depot is near gatwick.

Good advice, for cheapness I was going to get a pair of rear j spec 16x9's I am also tempted to get a set of these sent over http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/prochallenger.html but I don't quite understand backspace etc??!

Good find, you need a 7.5" backspace on a 15"x10" wheel. i think the pcd is 5x4.5

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)