The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gone to turbo heaven

Suprash

Well the worst things has happened to me, yep, my turbo/s let go on me this weekend.

I was travelling down to Dudes to have some work done, I was on the M23 going south, travelling about 80-90mph. Now before they went, I noticed a few times there was hesitation, when squeezing the accelerator, like as if to over take. It done this about twice, each time, a slight power loss for a fraction of a second, but then picked up again, on the third time, it never picked up again, and I looked at the boost gauge and it was reading 0, I pulled back into the middle lane and put my foot down hard, and it still read 0, it was at that point then that I noticed a lot of blue smoke out the back, at which point I pulled over onto the hard shoulder, and was on the phone to Dude, and Mark K, cheers mate. ;)

Of course me being me, I havent got any AA or RAC, so had to get a local recovery, to drop the car off at Dudes. Only thing was, the recovery truck that came to pick me up, couldnt relay me, as his window wipers had packed up, he only noticed this once he loaded the car on and got back in his cab. So he towed me 1 mile down the road to Pea's Pottage Services. Where I had to await another relay truck.

So all in all, Im absolutely gutted that Im now with out my car.

I basically have to options, option 1: being buy a stock pair of turbos, obviously second hand, or 2: Hybrids, which Im liking more but its finding the money.

Its disapointing that my car has been running 1.5 for a while, un-aided, and now I finally get ristrictor ring/FMIC, Pump and so forth, and it now lets go.

Dude is doing a compression test for me just to check, although he has already told me Im still running on all 6, which is good news.

Anyway, if anyone has any input/been in the same situation, what did you do ??? please post......

Guess I'll change my sig to 2 NA's :conf: :conf: :(

sorry to hear of your bad news. dont rush into anything. what about a small single basic turbo kit that can be run on stock fuel system?

quickest option is to look for some second hand turbos if you just want to get back up n running. you always take a chance on second hand turbos but for small outlay say about £300 you could get up and running. you could get them made to hybrids at about £1500.

hope you get it sorted to how you want it.

Cheers guys, the thing is its a pain in the arse with my car, Clair needs hers, and I need mine, and I really havent got a pot to p1ss in at the moment. So if I start to save for Hybrids that means the cars going to be off the road longer. Im really unsure which way at the moment.

Mark, small single is way out of my budget, well how dows it compare to Hybrids.....???

what sort of peak boost have you been hitting just out of interest?

Going single will mean telling your insurance company who may increase your premium somewhat. If I could face the increase in premium I would go single kit as its not much more than a decent set of hybrids and it means you can then swap up to bigger kits as you want more power. Once you go hybrids theres no easy step up. But, with hybrids the insurance company would never know...

JB

Nick, Cheers mate :D :D

John, Dude has just put me back into sequential, since having the work done, I havent really hit full boost yet, the car has only done 200 odd miles, as there was new discs on there so I have been breaking them in, so Im not even sure since getting it back, apart from the odd squeeze briefly, and then off to roll off a lot of the speed before any roundabouts.

Before then, I was in TTC, and was it was holding me to 1.2.

Sorry to hear about that Ash.

How long were you running at 1.5 bar mate, that's a lot for the ceramics really? And what did you drop it to with the restrictor?

I'm not exactly sure how I'd approach my insurance company on the subject of single turbos. I've still not built myself up for their rection when I ask about fitting a larger intercooler.

Hope you get it all sorted Ash,

Dan

Originally posted by dandan

How long were you running at 1.5 bar mate, that's a lot for the ceramics really? And what did you drop it to with the restrictor?

I'm not exactly sure how I'd approach my insurance company on the subject of single turbos. I've still not built myself up for their rection when I ask about fitting a larger intercooler.

Dan

I was running 1.5 when I got it, fitted a rstrictor ring, down to 1.2, about a year after owning it, then went to TTC mode, and was hitting 1.5 again, just got back into sequential, and must have been bake down to 1.2, but unsure as I have bearly driven it since getting the car back from going FMIC, Pump,and FSE.

Originally posted by dandan

Dan

Ive been running around 1.45 bar and up to 1.6 for a year now :thumbs:

Apparently there is no loading for an FMIC , prob considered a bit like fitting a bigger Rad !!!!!

Dude:flame Dev

Nice one dude, are you insured like the rest of us or on trader's insurance?

I'm with Adrian Flux so I'll give them a ring and see what they say.

What sort of power figures did you make at Thor on that boost dude? Any idea what you would be pushing out at lower boost levels, say 1.2 or 1.3 bar?

Cheers

Dan

Sorry to hear about the Turbo's.... Mine packed up in the same way.. I was running 1.3 bar and then they packed up after about 2 years. Lots of blue smoke :( Ended up getting hybrids and an intercooler......

After DP motorsport tunmed my car and checked for Det, i was running 1.6 bar - occasionally hit 1.7 on the high setting..... I only used it a few times as it was scary, dam fast and i wasn't too sure if it would kill the car :blink: .... And then the boost controller started going all funny, so i've ran the car at 1 bar ever since..

I spoke to Chris Wilson, and hes surprised it didn't blow up running that boost...:eek:

Its going to CW's next week to get a restrictor ring fitted maybe and possibly get rid of the boost controller...

Craig.

Originally posted by Gaz Walker

Ash,

I've got a single kit for sale, get a small single and as long as you've got the 550s it'll cost you less that a hybrid setup.

Gaz.

Hows that dude , Hybrids are circca £2000 fitted dependant of spec !!!:conf:

Dude:flame Dev