The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RPM Drop Between Gear Changes

dandan

Hi people,

Can anyone tell me how much the engine rpm drops across each gear change (in a 6 speed manual tt).

I wondered if these figures were around somewhere, 1) to save me going out and trying to get them myself (esp due to weather) and 2) not sure how accurate my rev counter is either.

Thanks

Dan

Guest Terry S

Please note the RPM drop will be more dramatic with a lightened flywheel due to the reduced inertia.

If you get desperate for them, I have them on another PC.

Thanks guys,

I'm on a stock flywheel at the moment.

According to the link the rpm drops change a fair bit depending on the rpm the change ocurs. I can only assume this is due to extra inertia in the rotating assembly at higher speeds.

Once I've been back to Thor on Sat and checked my fuelling at around 1.2bar, I'll be looking to work out some ideal shift points.

Cheers

Dan

By RPM drop I reckon you mean what rpm you'll be doing after changing up a gear compared to what RPM you were doing before you changed up? If so, that's got nothing to do with inertia of the drivetrain (which affects how quickly your RPMs drop when you aren't applying drive) but has everything to do with the gearbox's ratios and the RPM that you shift at.

E.g. the RPM drop is about 500rpm per gear if you change up at 2000rpm, whereas a shift from 4th to 5th at 7000rpm produces a huge drop of almost 2000rpm. Off the top of my head, but I'm using these figures as an example.

I used to have a spreadsheet with a gearshift/speed/rpm calculator but I think it's on my work PC and I'm not there until monday...

-Ian

Guest Terry S

Whilst I agree with what you say Big C, try driving a car with a lightened flywheel and tell me the effect is not significant on the rpm drop. Maybe you can just change gear much faster than me;)

Guest Terry S

It's easy enough to do, it just adds another rev limit when the clutch is depressed AFAIK, like the launch, so you keep your foot planted but the RPM would stay at say 4k. It would also keep the load on the turbo. This is my only concern. I don't know what if anything it would do to the longevity of the turbo.

Guest Terry S

Eyefi have you got an oil temp gauge? It just worries me that the turbo will be spooling all the time. These worries are probably unfounded, but I would appreicate feed back on temos inc. EGT's

i seem to b replying just before u post.

i have no oil temp, but i only use full throttle change rarely, when really necessary.

i have no hard data on egt's, but mine r fine. it never gets very hot. i dont think my guage is fast enough to respond within the part second that its in this state.

boost does still drop (not as low) but response after change is better

Ian,

I've just realised what I posted there in one of my replys. Of course the engine speed drop doesn't change depending rpm's due to inertia. As soon as the clutch is let back up then the gear ratios immediately govern what rpm the engine will do related to the road speed!!

I was still half asleep at that point.

Working out optimum gearshift points is not going to as straight forward as I thought..... :)

Regards

Dan

Thanks for everyone elses comments so far....

Originally posted by Terry S

Please note the RPM drop will be more dramatic with a lightened flywheel due to the reduced inertia.

If you get desperate for them, I have them on another PC.

Ehh? The RPM drop he is aking about (I am sure) is that given and fixed by the gear ratios. Given the boxes ratios it's a pure maths thing to work out. The mass of the flywheel only governs how fast the revs drop whilst between gears.

Yes that is what I was asking.

I think Terry is thinking of something slightly different...

- How much the revs would drop whilst the clutch was depressed before re-engaging it again. ie Before the revs are brought up to the speed determined by the gear ratios and road speed.

Dan

Originally posted by Ian C

Keep up Chris, I straightened that confusion out already :D

-Ian

Sorry! Bit hassled today, a rhea has had the sleeve out of my overalls (again) and the older male emu has sworn vengence `cos I nicked 5 eggs out of the nest when it went frosty and snowy. He didn't *SEE* me, but he *KNOWS* I did it. I'm watching my *rse, he's up for revenge... :mad: Anyway, everythings fed and watered, 3 rats shot that had taken up residence in some old pipe (they refused a rent book, so what do you do...?), and I have found where Mr. Fox is buryng the neighbours fowl, I'm doing a headstone for Foxy as I type :D

Soaked to the skin, shower and down the pub tonight I think :p

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by Chris Wilson

the older male emu has sworn vengence `cos I nicked 5 eggs out of the nest when it went frosty and snowy. He didn't *SEE* me, but he *KNOWS* I did it. I'm watching my *rse, he's up for revenge... :mad:

It's official, Chris Wilson is Johnny Rotten:D