The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Traffic Officers.

RedM

Isn't Voo51 one? I think she mentioned being a highway person, or is that different?

yeah she is a motorway person she just drives around all day in those big jeeps and attends to any emergencies etc.

No offence but I think they are a huge waste of public money..i always seem to see them putting out cones around brokendown cars and standing around looking gormless lol....

One thing that would be good and useful is if they came to the rescue with a cup of tea and some biscuits..or could go pick up your shopping or collect a chinese and deliver it to the side of the road..other than that what the hell is going on...my tax has gone up for my Landcruiser coz they are having to pay for people to travel about in expensive top of the range 4x4's to go round playing with a few traffic cones and occasionally a bit of cleaning with a dustpan and brush....this country is gone completely nutty lol

Forign motorists must wet themselves when they see these people on our motorways...putting cones out around broken down cars then stepping back and admiring their work as they do lol.

What a waste of money nowonder we pay so much bloody money on fuel tax and car tax....its complete nonesence..soz got bit carried away..but just annoys me really!

No offence but I think they are a huge waste of public money..i always seem to see them putting out cones around brokendown cars and standing around looking gormless lol....

One thing that would be good and useful is if they came to the rescue with a cup of tea and some biscuits..or could go pick up your shopping or collect a chinese and deliver it to the side of the road..other than that what the hell is going on...my tax has gone up for my Landcruiser coz they are having to pay for people to travel about in expensive top of the range 4x4's to go round playing with a few traffic cones and occasionally a bit of cleaning with a dustpan and brush....this country is gone completely nutty lol

Forign motorists must wet themselves when they see these people on our motorways...putting cones out around broken down cars then stepping back and admiring their work as they do lol.

What a waste of money nowonder we pay so much bloody money on fuel tax and car tax....its complete nonesence..soz got bit carried away..but just annoys me really!

Yea, but it frees up the real police, who can then issue more speeding tickets.................:taped:

Hi!!

Yes im a traffic officer for the Highways Agency. http://www.betterhighways.co.uk

We patrol the motorways and major roads within England. We deal with traffic management- making sure the traffic flows smoothly. In the meanwhile, if there are people on the hard shoulder we will go over and make sure they are ok, no injuries and organise recovery if needs be. We attend all accidents on these motorways and trunk roads which enables the police to carry on with more important/serious tasks such as crimals, car thieves etc. Yes we do cone out etc but its only to keep the incident sterile and safe not only for the pedestrians involved but for the motorists driving past.

I suppose some people will think its a waste of money right up until were first on the scene helping them out and making sure they are safe.

Starting pay, depending on the region is 16550 but you get shift allowance, putting it up to 18750 for double days and just under 20000 it you are 24/7. But i started in april and i get a pay rise in August already!!

It really is a great job. We get to meet all sorts of people and every day is different. I love it to bits, plus i get to wave at every Supra that goes past!!

The application process is also really hard but worth it.

Quite a few times now iv got to a scene where people have been having heart attcks, athsma attacks, general illness and even fainting on the road side just because they have ran out of petrol or they have broken down. We are first there with these people and they are greatly thankfull. As even before we were around the police would not have stopped if they just saw a car on the hard shoulder, where as we will.

As for the standing back and admiring the cones- were not doing that. When you are parked on the hard shoulder you have to keep an eye on the traffic and the hard shoulder is the most dangerous place on the motorway. All the traffic is driving past at usually 70 mph at least and you are stationary. This means when one of these vehicles drift over that marginal strip- such as a hgv driver falling asleep or even a ford ka on the mobile- when they hit you, they are travelling 70mph faster than what you are, you will die instantly. Thats why we park our vehicles at least 25 meters away from a scene so they hit that before the customers vehicle so we have chance to get them out the way. The cones are put out so hopefully the lorry driver or whoever will feel themselves hitting the cones or hear the noise so they can get back in the carriageway. Or, we will here them hitting the cones which will give us more time to move. Thats why at least one of us is always facing the traffic - so we dont get hit!!

OOO- its a sad life when you can go on about your job for ages!! sorry!!

hmmm...

i see these lot everyday on the m6 and to tell you the truth they do a honest job... i think this job has been created and is needed, its not been created by the goverment but by idiots who f***/p*** about on the side of the motorway and dont realise they are going too get hit... idiots who cant stay awake at the wheel ... and people taking a leak... if anyone is to blame its every idiot tha has ever hit anyone on the hard soilder.

but i also belive that it has given the police more time to either... take cars off the road to save money / give out more tickets..

on another point a friend was telling me about his police friend who has a nice volvo that will do 160 mph in 3rd gear :blink: duno if its true but sounds awesome

n00b