The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Plastic Undertray

Guest whele

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed this strange wooshing sound at very high speeds when going over bumps on fast roads.

At first I thought it was raod noise, however, just recently it has become more frequent and more noticeable.

Last night after driving along in the snow I realised it was the plastic undertray that sits below the engine. It seems to has creased in the centre and dropped down. I remember a similar thing happening to my MKIII. The solution then was to get a sharp knife and trim off the front half of the tray.

So, do I just rip it off and run around without any undertray, do I re-trim with a knife or should I get it replaced. Has anybody else experienced problems with these plastic trays at high speed (140+)? How did you resolve the problem?

My plastic undertray died a spectacular death.

It involved hitting a rabbit at around 150mph on my private test track :eek:

There followed a terrible noise from under the car, such that I had to pull over to the hard shoulder, erm, I mean the side of the test track, and remove the remainder of the plastic undertray by unbolting it.

I have no plans to reinstate it following the advice from several people that it would be unnecessary.