The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crankcase evacuation

b_have

Slash pipe will protude maybe 100mm from the downpipe with a heatsink, so maybe the hose will only see around 300C.

Was thinking of using the Aeroquip braided, but not sure of its heat resistance. Is there such a thing as Viton hose (as used for high temp o-rings?)

You're connecting your crankcase to the exhaust? :conf:

Yes, can create around 4psi vacuum with a slashcut pipe(Bernoulli effect) in the downpipe which will evacuate without contaminating the intake.

Been using slashcuts in Jetski pumps with good effect.

Thanks Tricky, already have the Moroso system,trying to improve the efficiency. Think the slash pipes need to be in a venturi area of the exhaust to maximise the flow creating more vacuum.

Interesting. Sounds a bit like a race-only application, though. Are you sure it will create a vacuum under all "street" conditions?

In conjuction with the stock pcv it can only improve. This system is only effective at high rpm (which is where my c'case seal problem occurs) Have heard of people using electric smog type pumps, but reliability is poor.

Thanks Tricky' date=' already have the Moroso system,trying to improve the efficiency. Think the slash pipes need to be in a venturi area of the exhaust to maximise the flow creating more vacuum.[/quote']

Ahh right, yes i think you are right about that, i also seem to remember it needs to go pretty close to the turbo to get maximum gas speed?

Ahh right, yes i think you are right about that, i also seem to remember it needs to go pretty close to the turbo to get maximum gas speed?

Can't do that as it has to be downstream of the WB sensor. Would probably work best in a tapered restrictor ring acting as a venturi. Using a 4" HKS TI pipe so can play with flows a little :)

With repect you are tryng to fix a problem that shouldn't be there. the ctrankcase can only pressurise through blow by, you should be looking at the bores and pistons and making sure you have as little blow by as possible, forget any PCV or smog stuff. All IMHO.

Maybe so, but having checked bore/ring wear when the engine was apart, found it to be within oem tolerence. This problem has only become apparent above 1.6 bar/7200 rpm.

Would be interetested to know how you overcome this problem Chris? or have you not stretched a 2JZ that far?

Charlie,

I may well have some useful info on this at home that may be of some use (although sounds like you're familiar with the idea already). I'll dig it out and if it looks any good I'll let you know.

I have used coiled copper pipe in the past to reduce temps enough for flexible connection...

An engine is an engine, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Coswoeth, Judd, whatever. Are you on forged pistons? 1.6 is a LOT of boost. If you are on oversize bores the block may be balooning, there's not much wall thickness in the stock blocks, most modern lightweight cast iron road engine blocks have a minimal amount of wall thickness, for weight and material cost reasons. Nissan addressed this with a GT block, for the GTR engines, with a couple of mm extra wall thickness in the bores to add stability at high cylinder pressures. This overcomes a simialr weakness in their stock blocks.

If you are on cast pistons the thermal stresses may be making them more oval or barelled than stock, and causing poor ring sealing. Whatever, excess blow by is always a sign of wear, or execess pressures for the design of the bores, pistons or rings, assuming no excess wear, or physical damage.

All oem (except arp bolts) so i guess I'm reaching the limits. I think the cc evac idea is a no lose situation so will give it some testing. BTW, everything else looking good at these boost/rpm levels, no blue smoke, no det and feels pretty quick :)

Charlie,

I may well have some useful info on this at home that may be of some use (although sounds like you're familiar with the idea already). I'll dig it out and if it looks any good I'll let you know.

I have used coiled copper pipe in the past to reduce temps enough for flexible connection...

Cheers Dan, trying to find more info on the Bernoulli effect of slash cut pipe. I'm using a Morroso evac system (cam cover fittings and non return valves) but going bigger on the slash cut pipes and maybe using multiples. Any info most welcome.