The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wanted 6 speed gearbox

JamieP

so who's been telling porky pies then...:innocent:

i would say nobody. Jamie made an assumption that the shaft was twisted but it seems its actually buckled through some sort of bearing failure and the shaft not running true

But One thing it definately isnt, is power/torque twisting.:)

That's intresting as i think the report was back the other day to say it was one thing and one thing only, power/torque. I have no knowledge on the boxes at all but this was taken to an expert in Milton Keynes who has seen hundreds of the Getrag boxes.

We were saying the other day that it must have been the reason why Jamie had such problems with the old clutch. Maybe when it's sorted it could be worth putting the 4 plate back in.

That input shaft looks rather beefy, how come that bent rather than say the tyres spinning up or the clutch slipping? As Mig says, it looks like the strongest link, there are many other (much) weaker links in the chain :blink:

I've heard bad things about the gearbox being mis-installed as well, and that's known to bend the input shaft - I can't think of any other way of doing it :shrug: Maybe that's unfortunately happened in the past.

-Ian

Well I'll Agree to disagree, But there you go, At least it's getting sorted. :)

And Ill keep my ear open for all the other twisted input shafts of the V160 from people with circa 600 while all the boys north of that are keeping theirs straight ;)

I've heard bad things about the gearbox being mis-installed as well, and that's known to bend the input shaft - I can't think of any other way of doing it :shrug: Maybe that's unfortunately happened in the past.

Im not trying to say your wrong Mig, all im trying to say is that the part were it starts to twist is convinentaly where the old one sits when in place. But ok we go with it being installed wrong, how does it get damaged from being installed wrong?? Side impact was one way you mentioned, but it doesn't stick out enough to be dropped on, plus surley that would bend it not twist it?? It had all the bolts in place.

it's just making me think twice as i think when i'm happy with mine all up and running the next mod will be a 6-speed conversion.

Easier done than you may think. You can preety much rule out heat warpage and power shear A. because there is no blueing and B there are no visible marks that I can see from the pics of plate shear, the bow in the splines are too curved following the whole shaft not Showing where the twist point of the plate would have been, stands out like a sore thumb TBH. The input shaft was designed with one job in mind torsional rotation and transfer it into the gearset. It is not however fortified against sideways impact or motion or off center rotation . What would be interesting to see is the runout on the spigot dowel, Im willing to bet that the whole shaft is off kilter which has lead to "bowing" for want of a better word. If a shaft is not corectly lined up It will run out of center eventualy leading to a "twist" or much more likely a bend or bearing failure ect ect. Many things can lead to this, Worn out spiggot bearing , Worn out input shaft bearing, Warped or of kilter flywheel ect ect all of which would have thrown up some mad vibrations and noticable when driving prior to clutch change.

Other ways are 1/2 the bolts missing from the bellhousing allowing flex and also hanging the box of its input shaft when removing and instaling it. The amount of times I have seen people remove all the bellhousing bolts before the cover plate bolts and not suporting correctly whilst hanging of it giving it abuse to get it in and out is shocking. And also doing the belhousing up before the shaft is home.

But One thing it definately isnt, is power/torque twisting.:) If everything was fitting well and hunky dorey that shaft will never twist. Its much more likely to shear,slip or demolish the friction plate before it will twist., but that really does take some power. At them power levels its much more likely to see the Clucth go on holiday or the driveshaft and input shaft of the diff turning themselves into shrapnell.

Theres more than one way I mentioned there ;)

If your being put of going for a 6 speed convertion based upon the assumption power has done that to the shaft ..then ask yourself this. Out of all the BIG bhp supras round the world would you not think this would be more of a common problem. Supras are not new cars now and the Japs have had big power Supras way before the yanks yet how may people on all the BBS around the world are stepping up talking about twisted input shafts ???

Like i say ..I'll agree to diasagree and I'm glad it's being sorted so Jamie can get his car back on the road and have fun.You never know Toyota might have brought in the Willy Wonka work crew and gave the factory workers a rest that week when the box was being made and he ended up with a choclate one, But with MrT's rep ..I doubt it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.