The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wanted 6 speed gearbox

JamieP

Guest Terry S

who diagnosed that. Cars with far more power have than yours have never suffered from this

Any which way, Phoenix can get the Getrag rebuilt if necessary.

Here you go Jamie, and for all those who told you that you were being told lies.

First off will be a large view of the shaft so you can actuaally see it's curved.

The next is of the first plate where it gets caught and wont budge. I say it wont budge, it would, but you'd need some force to get it moved. Not ideal for a clutch im sure evryone will agree.

The third is the otherside of the plate to see how far it still has.

And then because people think it's bent a short video to show that it infact it's not. Sorry to disappoint. :D

http://www.terribleturner.co.uk/james/clutch01.jpg

http://www.terribleturner.co.uk/james/clutch02.jpg

http://www.terribleturner.co.uk/james/clutch03.jpg

Video

Personaly I find it very hard that Jamies power level could do that!. There are far too many people running far more power and abuse them far harder and have never had this problem. Ryan Woon 1K HP+, Titan 1k HP+,Fabio 1.2K hp+, Ken Henderson 1k HP +, Envy High HP and so on and so forth all on stock 6 speeds.

If 600 HP can do this to the input shaft of a supra getrag after it's proven record then I would honestly believe there would be far more cases of it.

IMHO I would be looking at insatlation/procedures or some sort of abuse the box has been through as there is no way on god given earth circa 600 will bend or twist a getrag shaft when the above are not having this problem!

Edited to add. If you study the picture there is no sight of indetations or marks from the friction plate in the damaged area, which would be inclusive of a power related twist or bend. ;)

Personaly I find it very hard that Jamies power level could do that!. There are far too many people running far more power and abuse them far harder and have never had this problem.

Just what i said, but how on earth could taking the gearbox out twist the splines like that??

There are no marks where the plate get's stuck, but that is because it's not getting stuck on any marks but just the length of the clutch sprocket thing wont let it get over and past the twisted area. I'll have to have a look at the old clutch plates tomorrow and compare.

Not trying to knock your diagnosis Mig, if anything im more interested to know why. As you say these boxes have and do get LOADS of abuse thrown at them with power.

Easier done than you may think. You can preety much rule out heat warpage and power shear A. because there is no blueing and B there are no visible marks that I can see from the pics of plate shear, the bow in the splines are too curved following the whole shaft not Showing where the twist point of the plate would have been, stands out like a sore thumb TBH. The input shaft was designed with one job in mind torsional rotation and transfer it into the gearset. It is not however fortified against sideways impact or motion or off center rotation . What would be interesting to see is the runout on the spigot dowel, Im willing to bet that the whole shaft is off kilter which has lead to "bowing" for want of a better word. If a shaft is not corectly lined up It will run out of center eventualy leading to a "twist" or much more likely a bend or bearing failure ect ect. Many things can lead to this, Worn out spiggot bearing , Worn out input shaft bearing, Warped or of kilter flywheel ect ect all of which would have thrown up some mad vibrations and noticable when driving prior to clutch change.

Other ways are 1/2 the bolts missing from the bellhousing allowing flex and also hanging the box of its input shaft when removing and instaling it. The amount of times I have seen people remove all the bellhousing bolts before the cover plate bolts and not suporting correctly whilst hanging of it giving it abuse to get it in and out is shocking. And also doing the belhousing up before the shaft is home.

But One thing it definately isnt, is power/torque twisting.:) If everything was fitting well and hunky dorey that shaft will never twist. Its much more likely to shear,slip or demolish the friction plate before it will twist., but that really does take some power. At them power levels its much more likely to see the Clucth go on holiday or the driveshaft and input shaft of the diff turning themselves into shrapnell.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.