The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange noise comming from the rear N/S wheel

johnd-mkiv

Not sure how long its been like this as only just had my stereo off yesterday, but when cold it does not make a sound but after a 5mile trip ill get a horrible scraping noise, tried pulling up the handbrake gently to put tension on but does not change the note, Ive jacked it up had a look under it but cant see any thing checked the wheel nuts they are all tight:search:

its not a wering noise like a wheel bearing makes when its gone, but its strange how it only apears after its been on a run me dad seems to think its a rubbery sound but im not so sure

Sounds like wheel bearing to me I'm afraid, we are doing ALOT of rear wheel bearings on Supra's these days. When they get really bad they start scraping. Is there any play in the wheel? Normally when they get to the stage of scraping there is noticeable play up,down and side to side.You'll need a wheel bearing and drive flange, both are carried in stock here if required.

Sounds like wheel bearing symptons to me, have you checked for play in the wheel?

Yes mate jacked it up the wheel feels fine top to bottom and side to side in several places.

went out in it tonight coasting it down my road and it started doing it I took it out of gear and it stopped, not 100% but it made a massive difference to the note tried it few more times and the same happened.

Hi Paul, i think my bearings may be on their way out, think its my left front. What are your prises for the bearings, front an back ?.

Toyota UK retail price for front is £65.04 + VAT

My price is £45 + VAT

Toyota UK retail for rear bearing £121.53 + VAT

My price £60 + VAT

Toyota UK retail for rear axle £112.06 + VAT

My price £75 + VAT

How about that for some savings!

Yes mate jacked it up the wheel feels fine top to bottom and side to side in several places.

went out in it tonight coasting it down my road and it started doing it I took it out of gear and it stopped, not 100% but it made a massive difference to the note tried it few more times and the same happened.

Still sounds like wheel bearing to me. Does the noise get louder if you go round a bend and put some load onto it?