The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dyno results, or "How to waste £80"

Jake

Thought so ON the BC. Most standalonea seem to be that way.

TBH I Agree with the above. Time V expirience with VVTi, may well just be safer and quicker to get it all done by Owen's. They may not even password protect it which will then give you the freedom of choosing closer mappers for check ups in the future instead of beeing tied to the gatekeeper.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it's off the scale rich then it needs a remap - a CAT in place should only slow down and perhaps limit the production of boost, not shift you from 11.8 to 9:1 afrs. Wide open throttle is the easiest bit to map as well, so :eek: Time to bite the bullet and get it redone by someone else - you know how it is with these cars, never cheap or easy :)

-Ian

If it's off the scale rich then it needs a remap - a CAT in place should only slow down and perhaps limit the production of boost, not shift you from 11.8 to 9:1 afrs. Wide open throttle is the easiest bit to map as well, so :eek: Time to bite the bullet and get it redone by someone else - you know how it is with these cars, never cheap or easy :)

-Ian

He speak good info :)

Not really, no, surely it's fuel and engine build constrained, so unless you change fuel or engines it's a preset limit, not something one would want to change often?

Ahh so what your saying is, if someone builds and engine to take 2bar ..sod it set it there and be done with it. Dunno about anyone else on here but I Like taming my car sometimes ( as tony says; weather) having a nice road boost and some mad boost for the drag strip/ track....and I really dont fancy turning on my craptop everytime. Whether MBC or EBC its nice to have the flexibilty without having to fire up the laptop.

But Ill leave it for another thread poor old jakes thread is getting Jakked once again.;)

What Alex suggests makes sense, but you'll get nothing out of Tim unless he's drastically changed his attitude since the last time I spoke to him. I doubt this very much, don't waste your time.

I have a dyno sheet from TJ showing 440BHP and 1003lbft torque, with just a decat... :rlol:

Personally I wouldn't change the boost, rather have one good map.

Ahh so what your saying is, if someone builds and engine to take 2bar ..sod it set it there and be done with it. Dunno about anyone else on here but I Like taming my car sometimes ( as tony says; weather) having a nice road boost and some mad boost for the drag strip/ track....and I really dont fancy turning on my craptop everytime. Whether MBC or EBC its nice to have the flexibilty without having to fire up the laptop.

But Ill leave it for another thread poor old jakes thread is getting Jakked once again.;)

So why not have one boost level, and don't put your foot down ?

So why not have one boost level, and don't put your foot down ?

Just beacuse someone can run " boost " doesnt mean you want it all the time ..its sometimes nice to be able to plant it with low boost instead of pulling out the wild card. An yes i can see the sence in having one boost level and be done with it , That would make all these EBC pointless then but we all have the devil in us when we want to go for it , well some of us anyway. ;)

Just beacuse someone can run " boost " doesnt mean you want it all the time ..its sometimes nice to be able to plant it with low boost instead of pulling out the wild card. An yes i can see the sence in having one boost level and be done with it , That would make all these EBC pointless then but we all have the devil in us when we want to go for it , well some of us anyway. ;)

Fair enough, each to their own :)

I can't recall a time or car where I have ever thought that switchable boost levels would be useful. In the wet adjustable brake bias is more use, IMO. EFI Technology ecus have dual map capabilities, by the way, and there are some cheap ones for sale at the moment, on one of the race car sites.

Guest Terry S
I can't recall a time or car where I have ever thought that switchable boost levels would be useful. In the wet adjustable brake bias is more use, IMO. EFI Technology ecus have dual map capabilities, by the way, and there are some cheap ones for sale at the moment, on one of the race car sites.

Thats weird, I alter my boost levels all the time.

The last time I discussed boost control on a Motec was with the then Motec top mapper in the UK who worked directly for Motec. His opinion was yeah it worked ok, but not as well as some of the dedicated EBC such as the blitz. The plus side was that it was interfaced with the ECU so could compensate for high intake temps etc, so worked better for safety. The same can be said for the Autonic in built boost control. It works, but if you compare the boost curve to that on a Blitz SBCID its not as linear.

I run the AEM system and did think of using it to control my boost but decided that i wanted to have control of the boost and not keep having to plug in the laptop to alter or load on another map with a different boost setting.

I think especially if you have a high power car, having a lower boost setting is a must ;) i run mine with the boost controller off and the wastegates give me 1 bar and with the EVC5 switched on it give me 1.3 bar on one setting and 1.6 bar on the other setting :) jobs a goodun

Mike

I have three boost settings - "off", which is wastegate spring only, 0.8 to 0.9bar, "A", which is 1.4bar, and "B", which is 1.2bar.

I actually wish I had at least one more setting. If I want to push the envelope to 1.6bar then A or B has to get reprogrammed... I'd rather have more settings and not use them :)

I use the wastegate one in the winter and the wet, 1.2 normally, and 1.4 when I feel in the mood. I can understand how other people might want one fixed pressure setting and have done with it though :shrug: Horses for courses and all that. I certainly wouldn't want to run 1.6bar all day every day, poor likkle engine :)

-Ian

As long as it's mapped for your peak boost why would you not want adjustable boost levels?

It can save fuel, save wear and tear, and in the wet, give RLTC a fighting chance.

Ian, Blitz EBC's usually have 4 mappings AND off.

I think an EBC is now on my to-do list... Hmm which one though. I have used the HKS EVC 5 before and it worked great. That blitz one with the colour display is nice though.

Decisions, decisions. :sly:

Joe, I've just swapped my HKS EVC V for a new Blitz SBC i-colour. The Blitz EBC allows much quicker spool up and seems to hold boost more stable. It also allows you to set up different boost setting based on speed and rpms, so you can have more gain in lower gears and less in higher gears so you always get target boost through all gears.

I've found it is much better setting it up manually than using auto mode. I still haven't got to grips yet with how to get it to automatically set itself up to a desired boost level.

Very impressed so far, I would say go for the i-color or SBC IDIII, both use the same dual solenoid actuator, the only difference is the controller and some extra features.

Joe, I've just swapped my HKS EVC V for a new Blitz SBC i-colour. The Blitz EBC allows much quicker spool up and seems to hold boost more stable. It also allows you to set up different boost setting based on speed and rpms, so you can have more gain in lower gears and less in higher gears so you always get target boost through all gears.

I've found it is much better setting it up manually than using auto mode. I still haven't got to grips yet with how to get it to automatically set itself up to a desired boost level.

Very impressed so far, I would say go for the i-color or SBC IDIII, both use the same dual solenoid actuator, the only difference is the controller and some extra features.

Sounds good Nic. Where do you have yours mounted ?