The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Limitations of Toyota Bottom End Components - Specifics?

dandan

Crank seal issues - yes. I must admit I didn't think of that relative to this thread. Christian are you running stock seals still or have you made an ungodly discovery of something better?
Stock, but the new one is fully encased in rubber whereas the old one wasn't.

Encased in rubber eh? I'm not 100% familiar with the seal and it's environment so will go away do some digging around and I may get back to you with a question or two if that's alright.

fastisnice: Is everything beneath your headgasket standard? Stock bolts, rods, seals, bearings etc. Your certainly pushing out a shit load of power and with those cams - not shy on the revs either I bet.

Modding the head and valve gear is fine - I'm looking forward to doing that, much less hassle (for me) than going to the bother of pulling the engine out for the sake of rod bolts.

Are either of you running stock valves/springs/retainers?

• 2 months later...

From discussion with guys in the states that push the stock bottom end (new ones) to the limits, it the bolts that are the weak point. With uprated bolts the motor will take much more abuse before the rods fail.

I believe VWR use the stock crank in most of their engines up to ITRO 1100BHP.

IMHO it is always a risk using a used stock bottom end 30% or more beyond Toyota's original 500bhp design.

Just trying to think how a rod bolt can fail if you increase the power output rather than the RPM. I just looked at our rod botl sizing program and gas load isn't even an input - its all based on inertia loads which means engine speed.

Maybe there is a bending load on the bolt as it passes past TDC.

I always thought that the bottom end's were bulletproof as well tbh! (Easily good for 700bhp).I have also experience of the front and rear seals failing even with my GENTLE right foot!! *cough*:innocent:

On the breather issue i have always had the "old school" approach of 2 feeds to a breather tank or breather filters attached to the outlets on the rocker covers!! So what advantages is there to the other setups please??

Stu