The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRAC throttle... just remove it???

Kranz

Been looking into the TRAC system as I don't like it. Its too much cutting the fuelling for the time it does & ends up getting dangerous.

BUT, I want some form of traction control when its wet as the crappy Nankang tyres (yeah, I know... soon to be replaced) are a bit lively.

Can I just take the butterfly out of the TRAC throttle so the rear brakes operate and the ignition retards, but there's still some control of the power????

DON'T DO IT!

It makes auto gear changes much less smooth and they get more severe the faster you go. When I had RLTC fitted I looked into this and decide the health of the gear box was more important than any 'benefits' from removing it.

BTW, RL is the TC you'll be wanting.

Martin, if I could afford RLTC I'd have it. I'm thinking about making the stock TC more bareable.

Doesn't the gear change retard help keep the changes smooth?

Anyway, Toyo R1's are top of the shopping list once I've saved up my paper round money :D

How about drilling holes in it? Would mean it cuts the power less. Would be fun to try, and no loss if it does not provide the desired effect.

Yeah, interesting..... Could tune the power reduction to the level that you like.

May give it a try if I can find a spare butterfly to 'experiment' with. :) Anyone got one they could pass on for the good of the group?

The sensor plug has a power feed, a ground, an idle switch, and a sensor signal. I'd imagine the resistance has to go from the power pin to the sensor pin to stop it fault coding, so if you measure the resistance across those wires with the sensor in but the loom disconnected at the ECU (use a spare loom? ;) ) then you'll get the resistance you need to send it.

Just a guess mind.

-Ian

I was thinking of taking the butterfly out but leaving the shaft in, so it can turn the shaft & think its doing something.... and all the sensor readings will be right. It just won't do anything to reduce power.

I was thinking of taking the butterfly out but leaving the shaft in, so it can turn the shaft & think its doing something.... and all the sensor readings will be right. It just won't do anything to reduce power.

That would work. (have fun removing the b'fly screws!)

Its out. Butterfly retaining screws had to be drilled out :(

Seems they're made of a cross between alloy & philidelphia. There's no way of unscrewing them.

Left the shaft & the bottom of the screws in (as they wouldn't come out) and superglued over them just incase they decide to try & work loose.

Update on the throttle removal:

1) It seem more responsive at low throttle

2) There's no harsh gear shifting, in fact if anything its smoother

3) The BOV doesn't blow on gear changes anymore, meaning its on boost all the time

4) No warning lights

5) Over run seems to go on longer... i.e. there seems to be less engine braking

6) Haven't tried it out in the wet yet!!!!

7) After cleaning the gunky crap out of the throttle body it idled at 1400 rpm! Soon had it tweaked back to 800ish. The shift from neutral to drive seems much smoother. No jolt anymore.

In all its all positives.... so far.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...