The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Info on Anti Lag

DannoSupra

Thats actually an odd comment and A friend on mine who works for Rolls Royce here in Bristol was saying just the same thing the other day.

I didnt pretend to understand, but from what he said it soudnedlike a lot of weight and parts to be added to an already complex system.

Nope. Me I'd sling it into the turbo itself, after all the turbo does a damn good job of powering the car up just need to blow it to go faster. A supercharger that blows max air at 3k rpm into the turbo and BOV's from there should be sufficient. Not sure how current turbo's would handle the hot/cold air mix though. Maybe some aviation engine turbine blade material technology is required. And another thing, I'm highly suprised that the japs haven't started cooling the turbines on turbos same as gas turbine engines do.

Very nearly like a Compound turbo system but with a charger and a turbo instead of 2 turbos. I'm very supprised no one has actualy gave that any great thought TBH. Diesels have had compound set ups available for them for ages ..I'm not sure IF anyone has looked into or done one on a petrol engine ..But im sure a charger could do the same job IF it could flow enough. Suppose that depends on application tho.

Thats actually an odd comment and A friend on mine who works for Rolls Royce here in Bristol was saying just the same thing the other day.

I didnt pretend to understand, but from what he said it soudnedlike a lot of weight and parts to be added to an already complex system.

Ah well years of testing gas turbine engines see. All they are really are big feck off turbo's that have a burning bit in the middle. Its not that complex really blow air from the compresser final stages into the root of the turbine blades, job done on the cooling side of the blades. Blowing cold air into a hot system externally may produce some wacky brittling effects, Not sure how ceramics would cope with that, my guess is better than steels.

Very nearly like a Compound turbo system but with a charger and a turbo instead of 2 turbos. I'm very supprised no one has actualy gave that any great thought TBH. Diesels have had compound set ups available for them for ages ..I'm not sure IF anyone has looked into or done one on a petrol engine ..But im sure a charger could do the same job IF it could flow enough. Suppose that depends on application tho.

A twin turbo system works so a compound should just as well. BOV it out if needed to get rid of the air it creates and NRV it to prevent back flow from turbo. These pesky diesels are getting very competetive. Next thing you know they'll win Le-mans. Proof if ever you needed it that average speed counts for more than top speed.

Agreed. Diesels are getting right up there ..you only have to look at audi with their new winning diesel r10. I can't see any reason why it would not work TBH and it should be a damm sight easier that using valving all over the place to get them to the intake together.

Biggest diference would be from twins is that a compound system is basicaly boosting already boosted air.. ( ie the chager would be feeding the secondary turbo). Diesles can take massive compressions ratios ie some of these compound systems are running circa 60 psi on the big yank stuff. So the choice of charger and turbo would be critical. I'm with you here tho because a normal compound system relies on the waste gasses from the 1st turbo spooling the second. The boosted charge for the 1st turbo is then sent into the 2nd stage turbo so it can boost allready boosted air. With your idea you would simply do away with the 1st turbo and use the charger to do this..Im betting tho that charger and turbo choice would be massively critical as when them things get on song god knows what peak boost you could achive, but like you say you could quite easily bleed or disengage the charger. Only thing then would be some valving to let the turbo draw its air without going through the charger at this point.

Just gave myself a headache ....Think ill stay single LOL