The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adding a second fuel pump for big turbo upgrade

TLicense

I'm just sorting out the fuel system for my turbo build and ordering the fittings.

I've got a couple of questions.

I'm fitting a second Walrbro pump. Should I run two lines up to the front or will the one stock line be OK?

If I can get away with running just 1 line, what fittings does it use as stock? I mean how would I plumb the second pump in?

If I run twin lines should I go twin filter or join them back in just before this? If I run single line then I'll just split it after the filter.

I was going to use -6 lines all round (apart from if I use the stock line obviously!) does that sound reasonable?

Cheers guys!

Guest Terry S

TBH Tony you can do either. Mine is Y'd in the tank then single line to a -10 filter, then y'd out of the filter -6 to either end of the rail.

Nice tidy install.

At what point does a single Walbro, stock lines and filter become a problem - needing 2 pumps and rail, fpd modifications? For example would a T61 at 1.4bar be ok?

Sorry to intrude Tony - did you get my last email Terry?

Nice tidy install.

At what point does a single Walbro, stock lines and filter become a problem - needing 2 pumps and rail, fpd modifications? For example would a T61 at 1.4bar be ok?

Sorry to intrude Tony - did you get my last email Terry?

Dan,

T67 on 720's with -8 main line Y'd to 2 -6 lines runs on 1 Walbro upto 1.4bar so far.

My T61 with 650's would have run over 1.4bar easily on a single pump and stock lines.

Does anyone know the part number for the plug on top of the tank carrier, or know of where I can get one, following my recent disaster.

I'm guessing Terry you've earthed yours differently rather than through the plug?

Does anyone know the part number for the plug on top of the tank carrier, or know of where I can get one, following my recent disaster.

I'm guessing Terry you've earthed yours differently rather than through the plug?

Twin Walbro's draw a similar ampage to a single UK pump so twin walbro's don't ten to melt the stock wiring.

My T61 with 650's would have run over 1.4bar easily on a single pump and stock lines.

I'm hearing conflicting stories now. I'm probably shooting, initially, for similar numbers, yet I've been told by numerous people that I'll need at least twin pumps.

If I can get away comfortably with a single pump, then I'll definitely go down that route as the cost of fitting a second pump is considerable.

1 pump can run 720's....BUT I don't know if it can do it down a stock line.

Who is it that's causing a conflict with my facts?

Pretty much every trader I've spoken to, both on and off this board.

When you say facts, not that I'm doubting you, more that I want to know you're right (It's cheaper for me that way!) but how have discovered that 1 pump can run 700 odd hp? If it really is the case, then you've saved me some cash. :cool:

Ian's car is running a single pump on his T67 upto 1.4bar...he has no probs with pressure BUT I can't stress enough that his rail has dual feeds and a single return, and I can't guarentee that they don't have some effect.

His car was dyno'd at 580RWHP at 1.4bar. That's more power than Terry's T61 Hybrid.

Helloooo :)

In-tank Walbro, goes to a -8 bulkhead fitting on the pump cage, out via -8 hose to the stock filter location, into an Aeromotive filter, out to a -8 splitter which end in two -6 outputs. These each go via -6 hose to each end of an HKS fuel rail. The return is -6, to an Aeromotive FPR, and out via -6 to the stock return line to the tank. 720cc top feeds in place.

I run 38psi static pressure and run up to 1.4bar boost, although I'm going to try more than that real soon now. I've run the injectors up to 85% duty during mapping and the fuel delivery didn't drop off, so that one pump is a serious beast.

The dyno was 580rwhp, how true that is who knows, but it's not a slow car on the road ;)

How does that match up to the facts and research your traders have offered you...? :)

-Ian

Helloooo :)

In-tank Walbro, goes to a -8 bulkhead fitting on the pump cage, out via -8 hose to the stock filter location, into an Aeromotive filter, out to a -8 splitter which end in two -6 outputs. These each go via -6 hose to each end of an HKS fuel rail. The return is -6, to an Aeromotive FPR, and out via -6 to the stock return line to the tank. 720cc top feeds in place.

I run 38psi static pressure and run up to 1.4bar boost, although I'm going to try more than that real soon now. I've run the injectors up to 85% duty during mapping and the fuel delivery didn't drop off, so that one pump is a serious beast.

The dyno was 580rwhp, how true that is who knows, but it's not a slow car on the road ;)

How does that match up to the facts and research your traders have offered you...? :)

-Ian

I've got 50psi running 1.2-1.4 boost. Is mine dangerously high, I'm guessing its been mapped for that? How do I lower the pressure if needs be or could it be that I have a dodgy press guage (it does have a water 'bubble' in it?

I've got 50psi running 1.2-1.4 boost. Is mine dangerously high, I'm guessing its been mapped for that? How do I lower the pressure if needs be or could it be that I have a dodgy press guage (it does have a water 'bubble' in it?

Thats normal Jo. Liquid filled gauges help absorb vibration and pressure spikes, usually filled with Glycerine, but you have a bubble to enable the needle to move freely.

You also may want to look at:- http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=70186

Thats normal Jo. Liquid filled gauges help absorb vibration and pressure spikes, usually filled with Glycerine, but you have a bubble to enable the needle to move freely.

I'm going to check my gauge tonight but I'm pretty sure there is no bubble in it. I thought that a liquid filled gauge got a bubble when some of the fluid was missing and that was it. I mean, the needle can move through the liquid. Otherwise it wouldn't be in the liquid. And, er, then the liquid would't dampen the needle. Mmm.

-Ian

I'm going to check my gauge tonight but I'm pretty sure there is no bubble in it. I thought that a liquid filled gauge got a bubble when some of the fluid was missing and that was it. I mean, the needle can move through the liquid. Otherwise it wouldn't be in the liquid. And, er, then the liquid would't dampen the needle. Mmm.

-Ian

Yes I see your point, I did wonder when someone told me. My trouble is I believe anythign people say to me! lol.

Although I have a bubble in 2 I have here so they must do something.

The glycerine is there only to damp out the needle, otherwise it'd be bouncing all over the place. The less glycerine & the more air = less damping. I guess you can tune your guage to be as responsive as it needs to be without being overdamped??

Off to work now.. TTFN