The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AEM Designed Supra ECU

Alex

Surely it does not mean that the unit runs in Windy’s.  You would just use Windows to access  and alter the settings. I assume it is like Race Logic, once set-up you just leave it, only Race Logic has to use dos to make alterations.

Certainly worth following the development of this product.  As we all know the MKIV lump is a de-tuned 500 bhp unit, may be someone has finally cracked a way to access those extra horses. :biggrin:

Guest Martin F

Yep, you use a Windoze package to do the changes and data logging.

Windoze is not as bad as everybody makes out IMHO.

Only thing is to us amateurs setting up an ECU is never going to be that easy. Be fun to learn though, as long as no catastrophes.

I really don't mind windows any more, 2000 / XP are really quite nice. Win 95 really was a great step. But anyone trying to run a realtime app from a windows box is clearly looney.

A windows interface is good, until some obscure driver compatibilty issue sets the ECU to some fruity values and blows your engines to pieces. :biggrin:

Looks like it's well worth keeping an eye on.

Quote: from Gareth Davies on 12:44 am on Oct. 26, 2001[br]I really don't mind windows any more, 2000 / XP are really quite nice. Win 95 really was a great step. But anyone trying to run a realtime app from a windows box is clearly looney.

A windows interface is good, until some obscure driver compatibilty issue sets the ECU to some fruity values and blows your engines to pieces. :biggrin:

Looks like it's well worth keeping an eye on.

It's not actually that uncommon for after market chips to be programmed using a ROM emulator and software under windows, you never have windows controlling the ECU directly but it can be used to adjust the ECU program on the fly, you then blow the adjusted program/data onto a PROM and install that into the ECU (Hondata does it this way), runing the fueling, ignition etc of a car would take a fraction of the processing power of even a crappy laptop, but just wait until the OpenGL screen saver kicks in :cheesy:

This ECU sounds like a dream come true !!!

At some stage, when I eventually fit the HKS GT twins

im going to have to change the ECU, run more ignition

advance below 4500revs to help improve lag; also

control larger injectors, and perhaps some sort

of control over my neon lights and strobe  ;-)

Quote: from Martin F on 8:43 pm on Oct. 25, 2001[br]Yep, you use a Windoze package to do the changes and data logging.

Windoze is not as bad as everybody makes out IMHO.

Only thing is to us amateurs setting up an ECU is never going to be that easy. Be fun to learn though, as long as no catastrophes.

Yes  at least with race logic the worst you can do is spin the wheels. Melting your pistons or sticking one through the side of the block would be more inconvenient.

I guess we would need to know the safe limits in which to play. The problem is where to get the data.

I guess it would have to be Toyota and their design engineers?

That's more than a dream come true, J !!!

Think of it, between us we could obviate the need for any kind of speed-cut, boost cut, AVCR and AFC at a stroke. Plus, we could optimise fuel and ignition curves to suit other mods such as, head-work, cams, and so forth.  

My immediate concern is there was an element of sarcasm running through the Smartgroups thread. Something to do with AEM and the "Riceboy Market". Not sure what that means.

And how you took the Mick when I bought my red neon kit. I told you you'd want some eventually. :)

Oh, and the stickers just arrived. Any news on the spoiler?

Yours,

J

Rice boys - just to clarify - are the Nova boys of the US....they take cr*p cars and do wierd mods to them like 3 foot high wings etc!

I think this ECU COULD be great news. It needs to be followed. They guy "promoting" it said it automaiticaly included saftey limits and it used twin knock sensor and all that other gubbins I don't understand!

Still if it works whos ging to argue!

JF, lets have a group buy! - When we're sure its top quality kit.

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 10:35 am on Oct. 26, 2001[br]Rice boys - just to clarify - are the Nova boys of the US....they take cr*p cars and do wierd mods to them like 3 foot high wings etc!

I think this ECU COULD be great news. It needs to be followed. They guy "promoting" it said it automaiticaly included saftey limits and it used twin knock sensor and all that other gubbins I don't understand!

Still if it works whos ging to argue!

JF, lets have a group buy! - When we're sure its top quality kit.

Assuming it will on a J-spec car. Given that this is a US product it will be designed to work on a US (UK) spec car.

I may be wrong however (my wife advises me it's happened before)

regards.............

Gavin,

I've already asked the question - they don't know if it will work on a J-spec or UK spec... which is why Justin has already voulenteered to be a UK based guniea pig!

Does anyone know of any major differences between the ECU's on th US and J-spec cars other than the fact that the settings will be slightly different due to different / additional parts.

Is it the same ECU but running a different program?

(Edited by Alex Holdroyd at 11:12 am on Oct. 26, 2001)

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 11:11 am on Oct. 26, 2001[br]Gavin,

I've already asked the question - they don't know if it will work on a J-spec or UK spec... which is why Justin has already voulenteered to be a UK based guniea pig!

(Edited by Alex Holdroyd at 11:12 am on Oct. 26, 2001)

excellent...

VERY EXCELLENT !!!  ;-)

Ash- yes the Stillen gear has arrived,beautiful carbon wings

and goreous fitting front bumpers, due to be delivered Tuesday.

Neon lights.....yeah, I new they were coming back in fashion

all along. I fancy a blue neon in the boot to light up the NOS

bottle, gold neons in the skirts and strobes in the front lights...

Do you think ill get mistaken for a pimp ?????

You flaming tart!!!!

It was ME who said neons were soon to be the hip thing to have.

You laughed your flaming socks off when I ordered mine. :biggrin:

Good news about the spoiler... about flaming time.

Best wishes,

J

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like we will have to start practising our resuscitation skills for those members holding their breath waiting for a AEM programmable ECU. So far, and probably for the foreseeable future, AEM are only developing the unit  for  US spec ECU’s.  They have not seen or got access to a Jap spec ECU. They  have a large enough market in the US, so probably won’t bother  with the development  of Jap spec unless differences are marginal.  Even if some functions would work it would not be a simple plug-in, as  the pin outs from the ECU  will not match up with the loom.  Unless your car will run using a US spec ECU start breathing and look for another solutions.

(Edited by Phil Wall at 8:58 am on Nov. 8, 2001)

• 2 weeks later...
Quote: from Phil Wall on 8:57 am on Nov. 8, 2001[br]It looks like we will have to start practising our resuscitation skills for those members holding their breath waiting for a AEM programmable ECU. So far, and probably for the foreseeable future, AEM are only developing the unit  for  US spec ECU’s.  They have not seen or got access to a Jap spec ECU. They  have a large enough market in the US, so probably won’t bother  with the development  of Jap spec unless differences are marginal.  Even if some functions would work it would not be a simple plug-in, as  the pin outs from the ECU  will not match up with the loom.  Unless your car will run using a US spec ECU start breathing and look for another solutions.

(Edited by Phil Wall at 8:58 am on Nov. 8, 2001)

But what about electronically identical UK-specs?  PLEASE tell me I can use one of these - I'm already saving hard for one :)

could anyone please explain to me why this ecu would not work in either a uk or jspec supra.

it would seem to me that the ecu just wants inputs & outputs, unless the us spec has more or less sensors, where's the problem. The aem ecu seems to be fully programable, so any function the stock ecu's do differently can be adjusted.

i cant stop thinking about this aem ecu, to me this would be a godsend as i am as yet electronically unmodified and this would solve all my hangups about fueling after decat.

i am definately not an expert on ecu's!!

silverTT auto aero mkiv. hks priest exhaust (still wondering about the rest)

• 2 years later...