The mkiv Supra Owners Club

o know the shits hit the fan

fat_controller

i've just bought a uktt6 and i thought i was having trouble with my boost controller as the car wasn't boosting right but have now sused out it was the clutch, it gets better though, i've also got smoke coming out of the exhaust when i put me foot down so i think thats a turbo seal.lol

the cars got a hks dragger exhaust and hks filter, also a greddy profec b spec2 boost controller running around 1.3 bar.

could som1 please tell me the best clutch to buy for this set up and how much it is and how much it is to get the turbo rebuilt. thanks

Smoke could be turbo seals on the way out... but it could be valve stem oil seals. Or as I see you've got a HKS exhaust, it could be all the baffles and exhaust wadding breaking up and burning (luckily my smoking turned out to be that believe it or not!). Also 1.3bar is a bit much, 1.2 is the generally accepted max.

As for clutches, I'd speak to chris wilson and get one of his modified stock clutches. :thumbs:

how much smoke we talking out the exhaust, colour? what Turbo's are they, are they just standard UK spec. As the OEM turbo's seem to be safe up to 1.2 bar. From what your describin sounds like Turbo failure, dependant on amount of smoke colour etc.. you making normal boost? if so then rules turbo failure out of course :)

Is the smoke only there on start up or all the time? If it's just on start up it is more than likely just condensation in the exhaust.

Don't drive the car if the clutch is slipping, as the heat generated could damage the flywheel and replacement flywheels are not cheap.

Is the smoke only there on start up or all the time? If it's just on start up it is more than likely just condensation in the exhaust.

Don't drive the car if the clutch is slipping, as the heat generated by the could damage the flywheel and replacement flywheels are not cheap.

:yeahthat:

To the rest of you, come on guys, don't draw such dramatic conclusions to so little explaination of the problem!

- A little white smoke/grey on startup is normal (its condensation in the exhaust). Water will also pour out of the pipe, I've seen some leave 4-5 meters of water trail when pulling away from cold.

- A little blue smoke on startup indicates worn valve stem seals (common issue and it'll do tens of thousands of miles like this)

- Blue smoke after a LONG time sat idling is the same as above

- Blue smoke when hitting boost (only) is turbo seals.

- Blue smoke during all conditions is likely to mean an engine rebuild. Its almost unheard of on a 2jz. Certainly indicates a badly looked after car.

What conditions does your car meet?

Do you have any oil in the expansion tank, any muck in the oil filler cap?

i've also got smoke coming out of the exhaust when i put me foot down so i think thats a turbo seal

he's already answered in his first post when the smoke is happening and its not on start up unless he plants his foot on the drive :D

alsoi asked what colour the smoke was and was told grey / white...not blue hence my replies

My Turbo seals have currently gone i have had it diagnosed and they are being fixed at the end of June.

I have grey/white smoke coming out my car on tick over and when i accelerate, mostly when going down hill for some reason! but it started off a bit of smoke a few months back and now theres plumes of it. It doesnt smoke when i first start up the car though, just after a bit wen the oils warmed up.

Also, i got a quote from Thor to have standard turbos fitted and it was close to £2000 then for hybrid twin turbos was around £2800 but for the basics of a big single ( not including ecu upgrade, injectors and front mount- so will be running about 500 bhp to begin with) its on £2600. So thats what i have gone for the to get the other parts to increae it up to 700bhp in a few months. So i think thats a better option if you was planning to go single at some point anyway.

Hope this helps.