The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear brake fitting advice or pics?

danwhite

Never done this before and am going to atempt it tommorow parts willing!.

Just wondered if anyone has took pics of the process?.

Just to help me along with the process i should be fine ive got all day tommorrow :D .Just doing it to solve squeek from right rear suspected brakes or wheel bearing so im going for the cheapest first lol.

Regards Dan

hi dan........rear brakes are quite straight foward....after supporting the back end and took the wheels off , there are 2 bolts on the caliper at the back, that are sliding bolts , i think either a 12mm or 13mm spanner, take these off and the calliper should come away leaving the pads on the fixed part of the calliper.....the hand brake are not the same pads. these are small shoes within the hub part of the disc.....my point of highlighting this is that the piston or pistons can be pushed back in with easy using a g-clamp and the old pad, if the hand brake was using the same pads as on some cars you would need to wind the piston back.........then sand the disc lightly, just to deglaze it, then fit new pads......1 thing to remember is the pads are left and right handed, so do 1 side at a time matching the parts as you take them off..........hope this helps......... laz

Thanks to both of you it looks and sounds easy enough , one more question thoe will i need to bleed the rear brakes? and do i have to touch the piston in the hand brake at all ?, could i jsut get away with doing the pad change ?.

Regards Dan

regards laz

supra n/a manual

full stainless zigen exhaust

2nd cat removed

custom intake(constant cold air)

18" axe split rims

Job done was easyer than i thought it would be but still squeeks alittle when turning so i think/know it must be the bearings on the rear.

Not sure if im gonna atempt that one but ill start another thread seeing how easy it would be to DIY the rear bearings?.

Thanks for the advice guys was a great help for the first time atempting anything like that on my own.

Regards Dan

• 2 years later...