The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT Autobox Upgrade / Hi Stalls

tDR

Sounds like it would be the ultimate but very expensive and time consuming route. I think it'd be overkill given my immediate goals! :)

Just now I'm also worried about time scales, as there's a remote chance I could qualify in time for TOTB - I've gotta fit cams / 61 kit / emanage / 650's and all associated bits (which only become available at the end of this month) and get it running decent in time for my last chance to qualify mid June at Crail... to do a decent time will involve at least a hi stall being fitted at the same time. Or I may well be able to run sub 12.5 (qualifying time) with just fitting built autobox + hi stall and give myself some breathing space to fit the rest of the stuff afterwards.... but it's unlikely I can source a built autobox in time.

Cheers,

Brian.

Brian, the Gear vendor unit basically hooks up to the TH400, and splits the ratios, giving you an overdrive gear, and making the TH400 more useable on a street car. Expensive though, $2.5k springs to mind.

The one with overdrive is the the 480LE or something along those lines (will check for you later). If I remember right, it does not quite fit in our trans tunnel, which needs 'modding' (read big hammer).

Oh a reason NOT to go Th400 v built Toyota 'box: They have silly power losses, like 25%+ against 15-18% in a Toyota box. Perhaps try a Ultralite one if you do go TH400.

Yeah I read that a few times.... is it really as bad as people make out? 1/4 mile times / ET's of TH400 cars considered.

Save your money and just plan for what to do when your stock box breaks, if it ever does. Ours was still going strong after 20kmiles, 3 TOTBs, 2 TSCs, various track days & 5+years @500+hp. Switching to an uprated box (although not to the levels you are thinking of) did not give us a magic improvement, the best ever mod we did was the hi-stall tc. It was probably one of the cheapest too.

That's encouraging Christian. Do you not think your uprated box saves you some time over the 1/4 mile? Are the shifts not faster? Did you drag race with drag radials on the car?

Which 4000 stall TC should I go for, what autobox cooler and where from?

Cheers,

Brian.

That's encouraging Christian. Do you not think your uprated box saves you some time over the 1/4 mile?
I have a Sound Performance Gen-II tranny (if I remember right), not the most expensive, basically an upgraded standard box.

Hand on heart I can only say I got a .05 second improvement after fitting the box, maybe something else changed, maybe it was the weather (and continues to be!).

The old box already changed sweetly, smoothly and quickly, the new one is much the same but if I switch the switch that increases the line pressure, it gives more of a clunk.

Listen to the change of an auto Supra with a stock box; it really is quick.

Are the shifts not faster?
They probably are but it is not really reflected in my times.

Did you drag race with drag radials on the car?
I had not used them before getting the new tranny. They reduced my time by .5 seconds. (BFG)

Which 4000 stall TC should I go for
I may be wrong but I think whoever you get it from you'll end up with a PI one (in pink! OK, lilac, lavender or some colour like that).

What autobox cooler?
Mine (actually my wife's) is a UK spec so already has a cooler, but we are thinking of changing to the Fluidyne plus a fan.

Where from?
If buying a TC or box again I'd probably use Vortex. They were just starting up when I ordered mine directly from the US. They're such helpful guys.

• 2 years later...
this thread is nearly 3 years old man

lol plucked from the dead this one!!!

Interesting to read what I posted back then:

Guys, I'm not looking for borderline here - I want to know I can go to the strip and properly abuse it without any real concern. I'm talking using DR's, a line lock and doing some proper burnouts across the line to lay down some rubber before going for really hard launches.

Exactly what I did do...... still on stock turbos, fuelling, engine etc. and managed a 1.6 sec 60ft like this.... and an 11.5 sec pass taking the UK record in the process :D For the record lol - I do like to put my money where my mouth is, unlike some! :)

Some more history post this thread:

I did fit a BL box after breaking the spare I had, then managed to break the BL box too (BL blamed it on me manually shifting now and again with it, 2nd gear sprag is gone and the box has sat on my Dad's garage floor since waiting on me to sort out having it fixed for resale) so have been through the mill a bit on the autobox front. The current BL box I have on the car is doing me proud and so far I've had no issues with it running a PI 4K RPM Hi Stall TC... to be honest it behaves like a lower stall as I can only manage maybe 3,500rpm before breaking traction at the strip.

Worth noting after the first BL box failure I upped my trans fluid cooler count from 1 to 3 - I think with any uprated stock based trans you gotta take this approach as trans fluid heat is the number one enemy with them.

Oh yeah I stayed with a stockish setup after the T61 / 650's etc. deal I'd lined up from a crashed car fell through, to prove what could be done in the UK times wise, fed up with numerous claimed 'big power' cars not putting down the numbers at the strip.

Now my focus has changed - I'm looking to go back to track driving and have fun at my local circuit, Knockhill. Which means I'm on the lookout for a good deal on a manual conversion kit or a salvage car to get the same bits - then my proven BL / PI hi stall (3k ish miles old) setup will be up for sale. Given the dyno numbers thread by Wez now going, I think for me the step after that is now a BL67 with stock cams setup for the track to give decent spool and power along with reliability....

Cheers,

Brian.

lol plucked from the dead this one!!!

Worth noting after the first BL box failure I upped my trans fluid cooler count from 1 to 3 - I think with any uprated stock based trans you gotta take this approach as trans fluid heat is the number one enemy with them.

well said, i think the first thing you need to do with a high stall or a built auto is fit a temp gauge on the transmissiion fluid and watch it, neglect this at your peril, just to redress the balance a bit as the BL has a catalogue of failures i fitted mine at the time of this original thread and its still going strong (touch wood)

Edited by paul mac (see edit history)