The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Emanage Ultimate Weirdness

SimonB

I've got some strange issues with my Emanage Ultimate that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

First issue is that I keep getting IGN 3,4 and 5 input errors in the log when connecting the software up. The car runs perfectly fine, so there can't be a problem with the connections. I thought initially I had connected them up in the wrong order, but I've double checked and they are wired in firing order, i.e.

1->1

2->5

3->3

4->6

5->2

6->1

The second problem is that it all runs fine when using the airflow adjustment to reduce the fueling (I'm currently running higher than normal fuel pressure) and injector adjustment to increase it like you did on the Emanage blue. However, if I try and zero the airflow map and use negative numbers in the injector map it idles very lean and really struggles to run. It does this even if you just have -1 in there. I have the jumpers set to add and trim fuel (the default position).

Anyone got any ideas?

Is the ultimate different to the blue in that you actually cut the injector wires rather than jsut joining onto them?

If it is the same as the blue the you cant use negitive numbers in the injector map as all it can do is clamp the voltage on for longer never reduce it.

Is the ultimate different to the blue in that you actually cut the injector wires rather than jsut joining onto them?

If it is the same as the blue the you cant use negitive numbers in the injector map as all it can do is clamp the voltage on for longer never reduce it.

Yes, you cut the wires - it has outputs as well as inputs. That's the main advantage of the Ultimate.

I should add that the data log shows the correct injector duty cycle adjustment when using the negative injector adjustment (e.g. 1.5% input and 1.2% output for example). It just doesn't seem to control the injectors properly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I have the injector adapter wired in to the inputs too, and the latest firmware (1.14).

Does the injector duration in MS tie up with the duty cycle?

Just been out to check this, and yes it does. I compared a log using the airflow adjustment and one using the injector adjustment. They both claim to have roughly the same duty cycles and durations, but one runs as smooth as a smooth thing and the other is total poo!

I also tried advancing and retarding the timing, and this seems to work fine, despite the IGN 3,4 and 5 input errors in the log!

I just did Pig's UK spec and pulled 16% duty across the board when off-boost to compensate for the larger injectors as taking airflow out was much less effective with a MAF than a MAP, that works fine. I haven't fiddled with it much on my MAP based car yet though.

I'm assuming:

1->1

2->5

3->3

4->6

5->2

6->1

has a typo in it, unless you really wired up 1 twice and 4 zero times? Can you adjust the timing at idle and hear the engine note change?

-Ian

I just did Pig's UK spec and pulled 16% duty across the board when off-boost to compensate for the larger injectors as taking airflow out was much less effective with a MAF than a MAP, that works fine. I haven't fiddled with it much on my MAP based car yet though.

I'm assuming:

1->1

2->5

3->3

4->6

5->2

6->1

has a typo in it, unless you really wired up 1 twice and 4 zero times? Can you adjust the timing at idle and hear the engine note change?

-Ian

*ahem* yes, that's what you get for trying to remember the firing order without looking it up! I meant:-

1->1

2->5

3->3

4->6

5->2

6->4

Timing advance and retard at idle both seem to work, you can hear the engine note change and see the adjustment affect the logged timing. Dunno why using negative injector adjustment doesn't work though, most odd. I was hoping to leave the airflow adjustment well alone and just use the injector one.

• 4 weeks later...

Not really. For now I've done what I would have on the Blue, used the airflow adjustment to take out fuel and the injector map to add it back in. Something's not right though, I have a feeling it might be the EMU itself that might be dodgy. I'm hoping to swap in somebody elses temporarily at some point and see if I get the same problem.

• 2 months later...
Not really. For now I've done what I would have on the Blue, used the airflow adjustment to take out fuel and the injector map to add it back in. Something's not right though, I have a feeling it might be the EMU itself that might be dodgy. I'm hoping to swap in somebody elses temporarily at some point and see if I get the same problem.

Talk to George (chipmunk) he had two go on him... :(

Every genuinely faulty E-manage unit I've heard of have been very obviously buggered. I've seen two myself that people have sent me to look at, a blue that wouldn't communicate at all and an Ultimate that screamed ignition errors on every line when you fired it up. Mysterious fuelling wierdness on an EMU can usually be attributed to old firmware and missing the injector adapter #2.

I experienced strange behaviour using the engine coolant temperature adjustment map but every other map I've tried I can pull fuelling just fine. And with regards to the ignition fault there was that manufacturing issue with the early board revisions where the ignition chip could get clobbered off the board when the board was slid into the case :)

-Ian

Shameless plug....

My rev D unit that's for sale does not have the same ignition fragility issues as the older units (ie everyone elses on this board to the best of my knowledge). If you were a little clumsy removing the board on the other rev units then you could smack the ignition chip clean off the board. It's only surface mounted so relatively fragile to knocks. Even a tap (not breaking the chip off) could cause enough of kind of dry joint to balls your ignition stuff right up.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=77363

(Mods please delete this if it is not appropriate)