The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine running like a bag of nails

Taylor

Had the car 4 month and the engine has purred like a kitten since i had it. yesterday i drove to and back from work no probs, and then i went to the gfreinds house, and it sounded like shit exhaust was popping (sounded like a kind of scooby sound but 10x louder if that makes sense, and its fine on idle) but when i accelerate its not smooth and sounds like crap!

what in the name of all things holy has happened?

please help!

no i dont think there are any ticking noises......why do you think some1 has strapped a bomb to her!!! lol!!

Very Funny, last time I try to help anyone.. :p

Nah, when I had a cracked manifold, could be the gasket as well, it would tick on idle and then make a rubbish noise under load...

An a large amount of POP POP POP when letting off the throttle.

This was on a MK1 Capri though, so was nice and easy to change..

Almost as loud as when I drove up the M11 with no exhaust as the mounting bracket had snapped off.

Stopped on the hard shoulder, took the exhaust off and put it in the car (This was with a full lenght pipe, split where it went over the rear axle.) and drove to my mates in Chingford.

That was fun and v v v v nosiy on trailing throttle.. :D

well it is a guess. just that it happened to me too. one minute it was fine, next minute loud as feck.

you'd be able to see if it is the first cat through the engine bay. give it a bit of throttle to see where the sound comming from.

if not then something else :p

if there is a leak or tiny crack in the inlet manifold or anything leading to it then that may be the reason for the popping noises if air is getting in there, my bet is that the rubber seal that links the manifold to the block has perished over time, spray some fuel vapour around the where the manifold joins the block....if the revs rise when you spray in a certain place.....bobs your uncle, you have found the leak, get yourself a new gasket

First check to see if there really is an exhaust leak.

(Big rag held over the tailpipe when it's running. Listen for the loud hissing sound to know it leaks)

If there is no exhaust leak, start looking at plugs/Ignition system. As it's an N/A, check the distributor cap etc too. I say this because it happened so quickly, could have been an electrical connection that has gone bad.

As this happens under power with popping noises, this just sounds like a plug breaking down under load. If it was a hole in the exhaust manifold or close to the manifold, the popping noises would happen on the over-run as it sucks in air into the hot exhaust.

I had a set of plugs break down a couple of weeks ago on a track day. Car started popping and farting about under load all over the place.

Just another direction in which to look. HTH.

you say sounds like a Scooby. You have a misfire...is power feel down?

basically last weekend i destroyed spark plug HT lead of mine...had to drive it home though

and sounded just like a scooby.

3 basic things to change there:

Dizzy cap and rotor (£20) on a thread there is part numbers

Plugs: (£20 tops!) there is a FAQ with spark plugs to get

HT Leads (£40ish) i think

id hope that solved your problem :) ohh and im a NA too

Sounds like your running on 5 cylinders mate.

Check your spark plugs for damage, then check your coil packs one by one. Check connections and then try swapping coils packs from another supra if your plugs are ok

Sounds like your running on 5 cylinders mate.

Check your spark plugs for damage, then check your coil packs one by one. Check connections and then try swapping coils packs from another supra if your plugs are ok

Coil packs? Does the NA have coil packs?

lmao, you said this to toyota? I got a quote from them for a set of leads and new they are over £100 exc VAT!

I never said toyota :D

I always go to Part Co for parts guys are great at my local place and everything half the price :D

Taylor - If the problem comes back sounds like you got an intermittant problem. If that happens id say it may be a HT lead breaking down. If it turns out and happens again. Drop me a PM as i will have HT leads spare for plugs 1-5 soon. (unfortunatly i need number 6 myself :D)