The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Windows filmstrip (IT question)

Digsy

Windows Explorer on my girlfriend's PC has a handy feature where is allows you to view a folder full of JPEGs as a "filmstrip" - basically an image browser built into Windows. This feature is enabled via the "View" menu (where the options are: Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List, Details and Filmstrip").

The annoying thing is that even though she uses the exact same version of Windows as me, she has this option and I don't!

I'm wondering whether this is actually a plugin that is part of another bit of software that she has installed that just integrates itself with the Windows Explorer shell, or whether I have an update missing or can enable this feature somehow.

Any ideas?

just checked mine. it is only on folders that have just picture images in.

so create new folder with a few jpegs in, do you have the option then?

No! :( And what's more on her PC I'm sure it works on folders with more than just JPEGs too, as her digital camera softare creates its own thumbnail file in the same folder.

Ar eyou sure you have both XP SP2?

If so then download teh winter fun pack.

We both have exactly the same version of XP Pro (if you get my drift). Both have SP2 and maybe did a load of updates two or three months back.

This is from the Windows help menu:

The last para may tell you something if you have installed a different pic viewer...

To view pictures as a filmstrip

Open My Pictures.

On the View menu, click Filmstrip.

You can use the filmstrip toolbar buttons to select the previous and next pictures in the filmstrip or work with the selected picture. The following table describes these buttons.

Click this button Called To do this Or, press these keyboard keys

Previous image Go to the previous page in this folder. If you are viewing the first image in the folder, this button is inactive. LEFT ARROW

Next image Go to the next page in this folder. RIGHT ARROW

Rotate clockwise Rotate the image by 90 degrees clockwise. CTRL+K

Rotate counter-clockwise Rotate the image by 90 degrees counter-clockwise. CTRL+L

Notes

To open My Pictures, click Start, and then click My Pictures.

Click a picture to select it. Double-click a picture to see a preview of it in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

You can view your pictures as a filmstrip in any My Pictures subfolder or any folder customized as a pictures folder.

Related Topics

Ah. I sussed it, but I'm not sure how.

I picked a folder with some images in and started playing with the flder properties. I changed the folder type to "Pictures" and I got a message that said I needed to turn on "Folder Tasks" in order to use this feature. I did this and now I have the Filmstrip option in the view menu.

No idea where you turn this on and off manually, though.

This is from the Windows help menu:

The last para may tell you something if you have installed a different pic viewer...

To view pictures as a filmstrip

Open My Pictures.

On the View menu, click Filmstrip.

You can use the filmstrip toolbar buttons to select the previous and next pictures in the filmstrip or work with the selected picture. The following table describes these buttons.

Click this button Called To do this Or, press these keyboard keys

Previous image Go to the previous page in this folder. If you are viewing the first image in the folder, this button is inactive. LEFT ARROW

Next image Go to the next page in this folder. RIGHT ARROW

Rotate clockwise Rotate the image by 90 degrees clockwise. CTRL+K

Rotate counter-clockwise Rotate the image by 90 degrees counter-clockwise. CTRL+L

Notes

To open My Pictures, click Start, and then click My Pictures.

Click a picture to select it. Double-click a picture to see a preview of it in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

You can view your pictures as a filmstrip in any My Pictures subfolder or any folder customized as a pictures folder.