The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil light.. red or yellow?

carl0s

OK, I don't care that I look fookin stupid.

My owners manual is upstairs somewhere.

What's what.. Yellow oil light just came on, did the same this morning. Can't take an oil reading now as the engine has just been ticking over.

I've been guessing that red oil light means NO OIL, and yellow means Oil Temperature.

How wrong am I?

OK, I just searched again.

Red means Oil Pressure. I had this light up once whilst cruising at 60mph on the motorway about 6 months ago. The car lost power and the warning triangle came on, for about 2 seconds, then everything was fine, and has been ever since.

Yellow means oil level.. No worries there then, my car has done close to 100,000 miles and is probably burning oil through leaky stem seals.

So I'll just top up a bit now.

How right am I? :)

It's ALWAYS bad ! ! Warning lights are WARNING lights (derrr)

The less oil there IS, the harder/hotter the oil has to WORK.

I'm guessing you'd have to be down to 75% or less oil capacity

for the level light to come on (??)

Just imagine how much harder the remaining oil has to work.

There's no point worrying about what EXPENSIVE/EXOTIC

potion yer gonna put IN IT, if there's only 3/4's of it IN THERE !!

DIP YER STICK REGULARLY (AND check yer OIL TOO ! ! ;) )

Red means Oil Pressure. I had this light up once whilst cruising at 60mph on the motorway about 6 months ago. The car lost power and the warning triangle came on, for about 2 seconds, then everything was fine, and has been ever since.

I had the same when I first got my Supra. It flashed on for a few seconds by which time I was already heading for the hard shoulder, then went off again. Same thing a day later. The oil level was about half way up the full mark on the dipstick. Changed the oil (and several times since) and its never done it since.