The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mitsi evo V supra

JamieP

imho after about 50 from a launch or maybe less once moving they become equal and the supra then dominates from there all the way up. It's true to say the tighter the bends the worse the supra gets, this is mainly because it's levelling the playing field, the supra can't make use of it's extra power and the 4wd is helping grip! conversly if you make the track mega twisty even the evo can be outrun by smaller lighter cars! changing the goal posts suits different cars better...

However the supra is more tunable, faster in all higher speed situations, much better looking, timeless and isn't far off on the handling dept, so for me at least, that's 1 nill to the supra.

edit, but for me all supras should be at least bpu with rltc for the fun to begin :D (waits eagerly for rltc!)

you don't need RLTC for the fun ;)

that will take all the fun out of the equation.

Just remove the stock TC and use your right foot as the traction limiter for your rear tyres.

Agreed with comments so far about Supra vs EVO. The Supra can not match 4WD off the line (to a certain speed) unless you've got stupidly sticky drag tyres on the back and big power, but as general corner speed and mid range use of power they are similar. The Supra really takes off at higher speeds and is definitely more fun on the corners.

Which is faster.. well on the straight without doubt the Supra (stock for stock). On a typical 'A' road Supra again. Typical 'B' road then it will be EVO every time. I'd say this will be the same both in the dry and the wet. 4WD usually gives a lot of understeer, but to even things up the RWD is hard to get the traction from low speeds. A lot of it comes down to the driver also.

ok maybe fun is the wrong word, replace fun with serious business lol. At least if you have rltc you can switch it off when you want to play.

good point about 4wd understeer, I've noticed that, it can be quite significant.

Overall I'd say the supra is probably harder to learn to drive well, but very rewarding when you get it right.

as for b roads, I'd say the supra could hold an evo on some b roads, just not the mega twisty ones, but even the average b road has some good straights and long sweepers on it :D

I am lucky and drive both, my BPU UK Spec Supra and a 318 bhp Evo 4, off the block the 4WD helps, but get to around 60 and then the Evo is left for dust..! Not met many Evo drivers with anything nice to say about Supras..!

James i'm in exactly the same position as you babe :D

Only our Supra is a little bit stupid to compare now:eyebrows:

I'm the Evo driver in our house Evo VII running at 450 bhp, but the Supra was never less than 600 bhp so it always completely wasted it :rlol:

Must admit the MLR makes good reading at times. But being that we have both I must admit on a track the Evo would be on top but stick them in a straight line and the Supra would have the Evo for breakfast.

BTW I love both :love: and the new Skyline we have now aquired too :eyebrows: :yahoo:

Tina. x

Tina - I'd like to see a stock evo lap time vs a stock Supra lap time. ;)

(That's EVO6 or previous). I'd say the EVO7 and later would be slightly biased towards the Misti with all the fancy diff and yaw controls that help it out.

I'm a fan of the EVO's to be honest, a few of my mates have had them in the past and they handle pretty good. They're great on the 'b' roads.

Tina - I'd like to see a stock evo lap time vs a stock Supra lap time. ;)

(That's EVO6 or previous). I'd say the EVO7 and later would be slightly biased towards the Misti with all the fancy diff and yaw controls that help it out.

I'm a fan of the EVO's to be honest, a few of my mates have had them in the past and they handle pretty good. They're great on the 'b' roads.

evo 4 5 6 gsr all have active yaw control;)

I've only driven an Evo once - passengered a few times. My problem with it is that it seems to drive itself! Start getting out of shape, you just point it in vaguely the right direction and plant the throttle and the car just sorts itself out - definitely faster A to B on all but the straighest roads, unless you're a very good Supra driver (which I'm not...:(....yet....;) ) but somehow less fun.

IMO, anyhow. YMMV, of course......

The single biggest nail in the Supras coffin on a b road is the size of the damn thing, I simply couldn't hustle it like my friends in their FTO's on the weekend. (thread in driving chronicles)

this is so true, it's not that the car doesn't handle, it's that it's big (wide!) and doesn't really start to get going on full song until 40 or 50mph. Also if the car is lowered cause issues, but you don't have to lower it...