The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mkiv non turbo problem.

Guest SMITHY2293

Guest SMITHY2293

I have just brought a mkiv non turbo and alredy have a problem.

when i brake and turn right the power steering goes and two lights come on, the first is the big warning light on the rev counter, the second is on the right. it lookes like a small oil can with a wave under it. if someone could tell me what that light is, or even better what the problem is that would be good

Thats the expansion bottle.

Make sure the PAS fluid is within the two marks on the dip stick, cool at the bottom - hot at the top!

Might be a wire working loose on the bottom of the engine, measuring the sump oil level.

Check the wires on the opposite side of the engine to the exhaust, as the loom grounds there, dicky light could be a bad earth!

Can you tell me what light with the little oil can with the wave under it is?

its next to the main oil light.

Mate there are two oil can warning lights, I think the one your describing is the level one (does it light up yellow). There's the oil pressure one (this lights up on starting) but this is red.

Better news if its the yellow level light, if it is, check the level. If low obviously top up and monitor the level every day for the next few days to see if its dropping ie leaking or being burnt or if it was just low from the previous owner.........

As scooter says, hopefully the owner was a numpty and did not check the oil!

yeah, and hopefully he'd not had it too long!

Could be a oil leak, as the undertrays on the supra can hide the telltail patch of oil on the drive, if it is low oil i'd check around underneath and in the engine bay particularly intake/oil filter side.....