The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Could it be the head gasket?? Help Please

Stolichnya

Hello all, i have a small prob with my Supra and someone put the wind up me last night. 3 weeks ago my water pump went, water seeping from the nozzle. Now, i had the water pump replaced with a genuine one. a week later and it was leaking again, not from the nozzle at the bottom, from around the pump. The car went back in and a new gasket was fitted. the car ran fine on tickover, no leaks. i did 100 +miles that nite as i was off on hol in the car the next day and wanted to make suer all was ok so after 100 miles..no leaks.

I drove 500 miles the next day (gentle miles) and when i got to Luxembourg i had a look, there was antifreeze all over the alternator and surrounding area. a real mess. the radiator was fine and full and the only water loss as far as i could see was from the header tank. the car didnt overheat one bit and had not lost anymore water on the return journey. again, rad full. i decided to jetwash off the "green fluid" to see if was still leaking so when all was clean i drove the car and small spots of antifreeze were again on the alternator, only small bits.

My friend said that the headgasket may be gone and its pressurizing the water system...please someone, say this cannot happen! i would have thought after 900 miles in 3 days on motorways it would have gone in a big way if it were gone. Help please, what can the above be

There are the standard checks like white smoke from the exhaust or white/cream emulsification on the oil filler cap, or bubbles in the coolant top up bottle i.e. gas escaping past the gasket.

But personally mate if it was mine I would take it to somebody who knows about supra’s and get it looked at as it could be something simple but they can pressure test etc to check if it is your head gasket.

Hope you get it sorted mate

cheers for thge info. I cant see it being the headgasket myself but you never know! its the tinyest of drops that comes out too but never the less, it should not be happening. I am changing the rad cap too. the car runs really well and i would have thought that if the head gasket had gone, even just on the water side, it would have gone in a big way after a 900 mile trip in 3 days.

is it possible for the gasket to go only on the water side and pressurise the water system on a supra?

I drove 500 miles the next day (gentle miles) and when i got to Luxembourg i had a look, there was antifreeze all over the alternator and surrounding area. a real mess. the radiator was fine and full and the only water loss as far as i could see was from the header tank. the car didnt overheat one bit and had not lost anymore water on the return journey. again, rad full.

This could all be as a result of the garage overfilling the expansion bottle. The 500 mile trip may have just expelled the excess coolant. This would be backed up by the "not lost anymore water on the return journey" bit.

I'd monitor the water level closely and see if the it finds a natural level. As long as when cold the radiator is full then i'd be happy. A new radiator cap is inexpensive and advisable to rule this out as a problem.

hi all. thanks for the replies, i have had a chat with Greg at Turbofit and i think he has it cracked, there is a couple of small gaskets that need to be checked that should be replaced when the water pump is done, he said if they are not then they are prone to leaking.

fingers crossed its a simple one like that. i am taking it up to Turbofit for a look see v soon.

thanks all and i will post what is was when i find it

Im sure its just overfilling. If I try and fill mine up to the top marks on the expansion tank it chucks loads of it out, and thats following all the rules about filling with the engine warm (thermostat open) etc etc. The normal running level for mine ever since Ive had it has been a tiny amount of water in the expansion tank and nothing more, in fact when its cold its usually dry in there!!

The cars on 136k miles now and has never had a problem.