The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I wanted a supra... but got a 3000gt

Guest liquidmental

Guest liquidmental

I love the supra and if it where not for the super great deal i got on a damn near new 3000gt i would have goten one.. this site is great and i am happy to be a new member if there is anyone else outhere with a 3000gt i would love to talk about our cars..

yeah i nearly bought one, seen it loved it ,looking for one then...........................................................................................................................................................................................................along came a supra:d :p

It's an impressive machine.

...save for the 4x4 complications and weight...

.........save for the engine sitting 90degrees wrong, so the second turbo is squeezed between cyl bank and firewall

...............and the electronics that die with alarming frequency and are a nightmare to diagnose.

Apart from that it's not bad an attempt for that year.

in the same way the Supra ( jap import) has a FLARE in the passenger footwell ,the 3000gt has an "auto-ejector seat for driver",basicaly the roof comes off and the drivers seat is forced upwards out of the car in emergencies - these randomly go off every few years,.

make sure its in working order ;)

lovely cars tho :)

Looks-wise I prefer the 300zx by a long shot. I think it's even prettier than the Supra from some angles.:hide:

(appearances are subjective though)

But for the 3000GTO I can find no redeeming features. Heavy as hell, and I was trying to troubleshoot one for a friend to no avail.

The underbonnet heat is inevitable from the flawed design, half of the electrics and many of the rubbers and plastics are destined to be cooked from the way they've packaged turbo#2.

Turbocharging that engine was an unwise move.

Looks-wise I prefer the 300zx by a long shot. I think it's even prettier than the Supra from some angles.:hide:

But for the 3000GTO I can find no redeeming features. Heavy as hell, and I was trying to troubleshoot one for a friend to no avail.

The underbonnet heat is inevitable from the flawed design, half of the electrics and many of the rubbers and plastics are destined to be cooked from the way they've packaged turbo#2.

Turbocharging that engine was an unwise move.

The 3000GT looks sooo much better then the 300zx.

But supra looks way better then both of them...

:cool:

I bet your favorite TV prog is still Miami Vice too? :p

I like the one near to me - like this one http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/66716.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/images/66716-2.jpg

Looks very similar to Mk3

I like the 3000GT.

I was on a track day last Sunday and had a friend driving one behind me. I was on the limit through the corners and he was all over me like a rash! Thank god for the straight bits where I stomped away from him!

(Until I got it all out of shape in a hairpin and he got past....DOH!)

Got MUCH more respect for these cars now!

:rolleyes:

I bet your favorite TV prog is still Miami Vice too? :p

I love it.

OK, it's flashy and corny and the undercover cops move around in a white Ferrari with 2-hours worth of blowdry:d

Men&Motors have been airing all episodes for some months now, I'm recording them all to DVD since they haven't come out commercially (except series 1)