The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EGT gauge

JamieP

Its more during the fast run/peak boost, that you need to monitor, but if its a peak hold meter then 700 is fine, its when it gets to 950 that you need to start looking into it.

cool.. thats the highest ive seen it read, full boost fast run

Well best place is in one of the manifold runners before the turbo, but i am a bit weary of the sensor failing and destroying the turbo, so mine will be in the down pipe as close after the turbo as possible, but you need a rough idea of what temps people are getting before the turbo, to work out the temp difference, its usually about 150c less.

When I had to fit my EGT sensor probe on my tubular manifold, I decided the best compromise place would be in the collector, where the 6 tubes meet and 2 tubes go off to the wastegate. It's slightly biased towards the wastegate so that if the probe does go, it should fly out the screamer pipe and bypess the expensive turbo altogether, but I still get an accurate EGT reading as it's pre-turbo :)

Oh, and I've found you can get near your peak EGTs by fast cruising off boost around 3500rpm. :blink: Funny old thing, EGTs.

-Ian

Oh, and I've found you can get near your peak EGTs by fast cruising off boost around 3500rpm. :blink: Funny old thing, EGTs.

-Ian

Funny you should mention that as my Blitz FATT has two settings one where you can fix the timer and one that seems "proactive" in that the base value is set but the time can vary according to work load. I find that fast crusing at around 3500rpm (max torque output is it ish?) off boost puts the timer value well up. I assume that it works according to EGT's Probably wrong though. (As I've been drinking and I'm probably talking gibberish)

OK step back from the Mic. Dude thats way way too high. You need some cooling goin on there. Thats utter madness running an engine at that temp. Have you got an AFR meter? I'd get one. Check to see if its running too lean as those temps are uber too high.

Have got an AFR, when she gets going she's averaging about 14 - which I've heard is about right. So whats happening to make it go so high? Gotta check out where the sensor is then . . . . any ideas?

Have got an AFR, when she gets going she's averaging about 14 - which I've heard is about right. So whats happening to make it go so high? Gotta check out where the sensor is then . . . . any ideas?

did i read you brought the car of leon green?

Scary, mine averages about 1000 - but yesterday it hit 1200 after an hour at 70-80mph on the motorway???

I suspect the gauge is reading wrongly, your pistons would probably be melted by now if that was the case, and cruising would normally give a much lower reading that at full boost. You haven't mucked about with the fuelling, or timing, in any way, have you?

I suspect the gauge is reading wrongly, your pistons would probably be melted by now if that was the case, and cruising would normally give a much lower reading that at full boost. You haven't mucked about with the fuelling, or timing, in any way, have you?

Chris - havent messed with the fuelling but it is in desperate need of a bloody good mapping! Its aem and to be honest dont think its had a proper mapping since it went on the car about eighteen months ago. Trying to get it to Bijal on Tuesday but at the mo gearbox is off the car again. Was told that 14 was about right on the AFR, I actually think its running a bit rich . . .

Yes it is in fahrenheit, no special engine for me . . yet !

Didnt buy the car off Leon Green, but another Leon in Southampton who told me when I bought the car that 1000 was about right??

So, am I going to get the car from Cwmbran to Leicester on Tuesday without doing some damage? How can I eliminate faulty guages without putting new ones on?

Sorry for the highjack Jamie ;)

If it's in fahrenheit then that's OK.... :) Just drive it gently until it's mapped.

Yeah, will do. That makes me feel happier knowing the car aint gonna blow up on the m5! The car was doing about 85-90 leptons on average at 3000 revs and hitting 12-1300 on the egt. Does that sound about right?

Will have to try a conversion of F to C to compare with Jamie :) OK - just done that 1200 is 648.9 oC 1300 is 704.4 oC. I was told Friday that the pistons are made of aluminium and the melting point for these is 660 oC, does anyone know if thats right cus if thats the case and my dials are right, I shouldnt have any pistons left, nor Jamie !!!!! I guess it depends where the sensor is though eh?