The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stupid gay car

Supragal

Well my car just failed the MOT 2 months after buying and it's nearly £500 to get it through. Right after it broke down last week and cost me £200, and we spend £50 and all sunday fitting a new cv joint. cars only worth £650. so, what to do eh?

Best bit is, everyone said my Rover would be an unreliable shed, when I got the almera everyone thought it was great. Rover needed a light bulb and bushes... Almera pretty much destined for scrap heaven. Or Hell if I get my way.

I hate cars they are all crap.

I can relate. I bought that cr@ppy laguna 18 months ago to drive whilst I saved my pennies for my fto

Its MOT was due last June, which it failed.

One month after I bought it, the front shocks went, so I drove around on them for ages like that. It was also prone to none starts, spend £270 to get it through the MOT, for it to fail on the exhaust, which was rusty as feck. Entire new exhaust was needed.

In the end I sold it to my housemate as I already had my FTO by that point.

I am incredibly unlucky with cars it would seem, if there is such a thing as luck.

My horse is really lame again so actually might have to have him shot soon so probably not up to pulling any carriages!! Plus, ever since some dick drove into him on the road and hurt him bad he's not really very safe in traffic.

THing is, after May 1st I don't need a car and was going to sell it. Now I've got to manage 3 weeks without one.

Public transport- I actually would except that I live miles out and also do a split job role so drive about all day.

Just so annoying that I've spend 1.5k on it in the last couple of months and now it's worth nothing!!! Grrr.

My horse is really lame again so actually might have to have him shot soon so probably not up to pulling any carriages!! Plus, ever since some dick drove into him on the road and hurt him bad he's not really very safe in traffic.

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Didn't mean to remind you :(

I am incredibly unlucky with cars it would seem, if there is such a thing as luck.

THing is, after May 1st I don't need a car and was going to sell it. Now I've got to manage 3 weeks without one.

Public transport- I actually would except that I live miles out and also do a split job role so drive about all day.

Just so annoying that I've spend 1.5k on it in the last couple of months and now it's worth nothing!!! Grrr.

Keep smiling it all be worth it when your soops got best in show at JAE this summer mind you knowing your luck and this dam weather it will be covered in snow.:) :trophy:

Hope it all sorted soon Rosie.

Hows the soop??

I'm never buying a new car (like a have a choice ££ :( )

disposable cars are the only way.

Buy a car expecting it to brake down it will become th most reliable car in the world.

My fiat Uno 45 NEVER had a service or oil change and its still rockin!

Bought a Shogun with a problem engine (advised it wouldn't last a month) and its still chuggin along 5 years later.

Well you have to pick em very carefully! I know this is no help but my old clio lasted 35k miles / 2.5 years, returning a regular 50mpg for a grand total of £600 and no servicing (except a pipe or two and some tires which go on any car...). New replacement punto £500 just started running on 3 cylinders but just managed to fix it with a part from ebay for £4.35 lol. I hope the new motor can manage something similar. TBH it doesn't get any cheaper than that and it's worth it just for the petrol you save and the wear and tear not on the supra. It's true to say it is a bit of pot luck when you get something new, but I'm suprised rover is more reliable than japanese stuff, that must be a rare exception lol. Just smile and look forward to driving the supra again :)

uying cheap cars has worked out ok for me as I generally get them with a years MOT and then if it dies next year then I don't mind, it's only coz it cost me £650 a few months ago and already died after spendig loads already.

IMHO you either spend circa £500 or over 5k. I say this because throeing away a £500 isn't the end of the world but if you've spent 2 or 4k and it's fecked you can't really blow that kinda cash. Well I'm sure some can, I can't!!

Supra- dunno. Not been near it for ages it's probably be nicked or eaten by mice... hoping to have time after easter to go and fit some bits see if it runs

I always make sure that the daily 'runabout' is not worth more than £100.

That way if anything happens - major vandalism, smack, catastrophic failure, whatever - I'm always prepared to let it go.

The current M-reg Astra estate I've had for 3.5 years and it just won't die. It goes and goes and goes. Just oil changes and the odd filter change.

NOTHING else.40odd mpg due to a diesel leaks from the pump, but who cares? Fixing them would double or triple the money it owes me. Let it leak.

Cheap motoring.

yeah welding is a PITA, helps if you know someone who will do it for free/cheap or you can do it yourself.

Other than that, if you pick a mechanically sound car that up to this point in it's life has had lots of TLC and servicing expended on it, you can pretty much do 20 or 30k miles with nothing more than the regular service items (oil, brake pads, tyres) that you would need on any car.

but there is always a risk. Cheaper the better, once I've had a £500 car for more than say 6 months I kinda say it owes me nothing, that way if it dies totally then you can just ditch it, still a lot cheaper than the depreciation on religious servicing on a newer car.

think you have just been mega unlucky supragal :(

40odd mpg due to a diesel leaks from the pump, but who cares?

Ermm....try asking a motorcyclist that question.

They'd probably smack you in the mouth for knowingly depositing diesel on the road - no matter how small the quantity. Oh, and driving a car with a faulty fuel system is an offence.

Sorry, John, but diesel spills REALLY hack me off.