The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uneven idle in rain ...

Roy

hi guys - just a quick question. i have a vented bonnet and today while it raining, i started the car which fired up fine but the idle was suddenly dying off and the engine felt sluggish. after booting it a bit (interesting in the wet!), the problem 'seemed' to go away. i have started before n driven in the (far heavier) rain without any kind of hesitation but why is it suddenly sluggish and idling so roughly ? it drove fine yesterday - perfect tickover but today it suddenly felt sooo lethargic ... any ideas ?

have attached piccy of bonnet and the nearest vent is right over the blitz intake..

picture 017med.jpg

I had the same problem earlier today with my Supra, well i think its exactly what you described..

I was in the car park in first gear and i put my foot down quickly reving then stopped to let someone out of a parking space, the engine started to behave rather strangely during idle, as tho the engine was about to stall.. then when i tried to rev the car in neutral the engine was very sluggish..

I just parked up and left it, hoping that i'd go away.. came back it was still sluggish, but after a few minutes everything was fine again...

I have no idea what the problem was.. think it was the engine miss firing?

Not that I can be of any help, but share in my pi$$ed offness with the rain today.

On the way home from work, I had to go through a flooded road, not too deep, maybe 6 inches or so, but about 20 feet of water to drive through.

Anyway, shortly after this, my alarms led lit up, along with the indicators, then died altogether... Then the door ajar light starts blinking and finally just lit up, and stayed on all the way home. During the drive home, my headlights kept flickering, and the alarms led started glowing dimly.

I'm assuming I've got water somewhere I shouldn't have, but I'm not going to check it now as it's still pouring down... :(

Nuts! :conf:

Originally posted by osso

I had the same problem earlier today with my Supra, well i think its exactly what you described..

I was in the car park in first gear and i put my foot down quickly reving then stopped to let someone out of a parking space, the engine started to behave rather strangely during idle, as tho the engine was about to stall.. then when i tried to rev the car in neutral the engine was very sluggish..

I just parked up and left it, hoping that i'd go away.. came back it was still sluggish, but after a few minutes everything was fine again...

I have no idea what the problem was.. think it was the engine miss firing?

Hang on my old mate! Alarm bells ringing here. Has the car got a none stock blow off valve? It sounds like, if so, it could be knackered.

Hi Chris, as far as i am aware my supra is completely standard apart from the 18" alloys..

the only blow off valve i am aware of is this one.. see pic attached (please note this is not a pic from my engine bay but the BOV looks exactly the same...)

Just out of curiosity why were the alarm bells ringing? :conf:

would a dicky BOV make the engine run sluggishly?

image7[1].jpg

Originally posted by osso

Hi Chris, as far as i am aware my supra is completely standard apart from the 18" alloys..

the only blow off valve i am aware of is this one.. see pic attached (please note this is not a pic from my engine bay but the BOV looks exactly the same...)

Just out of curiosity why were the alarm bells ringing? :conf:

would a dicky BOV make the engine run sluggishly?

A failed BOV can indeed cause sluggish running. the valve in the pic is stock, but it may be worth your while removing it and seeing if you can blow down either of the 2 larger porst (you shouldn't be able to AT ALL).

ben - are you STILL around here bothering people ? go away .. LOL :p

neil - i hope it's a temporary thing. stuck the car cover on n hope it dries out ... :(

osso - i am not certain but maybe yours could be a slightly different problem as i don't think your bonnet has vents ? i think neil maybe right as to the water getting in problem ? :(

chris - i shall try n do that tomorrow morning too see if the problem still persists. is it dangerous to continue driving if it is still the case ? thank you. :)

matt - feel for you bud, hopes it gets sorted ... :)

pic of the engine bay ..

picture 024med.jpg

I have the a TRD bonnet and occasionally have problems starting. This is very rare though - only when the car's been left stationary for about a week. Starter turns over for 7-10secs before engine starts, then idles rough and low, and after a few mins driving, all is ok as if ecu resets itself and sorts itself out.

Sound similar at all?

I definately have had water around plugs before....seen the rusty water marks (CW - remember the email attachment - suspected coreplug leaking) !!!! Possibly this is similar to roy's trouble.

Mine is definately time related though, it could rain solid for 2 days and i'd have no problems. But if dry for a week (undriven) = problem.

Editted: Spelling

Originally posted by dandan

I have the a TRD bonnet and occasionally have problems starting. This is very rare though - only when the car's been left stationary for about a week. Starter turns over for 7-10secs before engine starts, then idles rough and low, and after a few mins driving, all is ok as if ecu resets itself and sorts itself out.

Sound similar at all?

I definately have had water around plugs before....seen the rusty water marks (CW - remember the email attachment - suspected coreplug leaking) !!!! Possibly this is similar to roy's trouble.

Mine is definately time related though, it could rain solid for 2 days and i'd have no problems. B if dry for a week (undriven) = problem.

That problem sounds much more like the one way none return valve in the fuel supply system is leaking and the injector rail is losing fuel pressure. next time you have to start it after a prolonged period of inactivity try this:

Turn ignition to the point where all the dash lights are on, but not as far as the start position, leave for 3 seconds. Turn off for a second or two, repeat 10 times. See if then starts normally. If it does bet your bottom dollar it's the one way valve or a leak on the pressure side of the fuel line somewhere.

HTH.

Roy: I have stock airbox so almost definately not wet/damp air off filter being drawn in. May well be different to you in that case.

CW: Thanks Chris, I wondered whether it was something like an injector staying open or something depressurising the fuel rail but your suggestion sounds much more logical. IIRC there's often a fair bit of smoke too (light grey, maybe white) which I was trying to convince myself was lots of condensation where it was left standing for so long. Could it be unburnt fuel perhaps or just coincidence? I will definately try the ign process next time it happens. Speak to you soon re. decat etc as per pm.

not wanting to be a worrier, but light grey / white smoke is usually water in the combustion chambers, but as a rule this would give a miss on one or two cylinders only, as only one or an adjoing two pair of cylinders would be affected. White smoke is also indicative of brake fluid being drawn from the servo. You aren't losing brake fluid are you?

CW - went on a bit of a drive (london meet) to gauge the problem today. after start up, the unevenness has now become only the odd minor case and for the most part, it seems fine. it used to burble unevenly for a fair bit but that's gone for the most part now.

on the way back from the meet, upon start-up, it fired up fine but i noticed the cold idle (where the revs normally stay high then slowly drop when the engine heats up) is lasting for only a very short duration whereas before the revs gradually lessened over a few minutes. i wonder if this is a sign of anything maybe ?

thank you in advance for any input.

Hi Roy,

Mine now sounds like something totally different to yours so i hope you don't mind if i post up a reply here re. CW 's comments?

I hope you get yours sorted mate, perhaps put a stock airbox back on temporarily to rule out your air intake??

Chris, I'm definately definately not losing brake fluid and as far as i know i'm not losing any water at all from rad. Always at same level. I can't be sure about the smoke/vapour but it does seem more prominent than when the car starts normally. I must stress this only ever happens when the car has been left standing for a week or more. Hence, only happened about three times in total :) Do you think this could be related to the suspected core plug problem? I'll ring you tomorrow re. the decat and hopefully we could discuss this when i come up to yours.

Thanks again

Dan

Roy: Don't worry. you will get it sorted one way or another.

Originally posted by dandan

Hi Roy,

Mine now sounds like something totally different to yours so i hope you don't mind if i post up a reply here re. CW 's comments?

I hope you get yours sorted mate, perhaps put a stock airbox back on temporarily to rule out your air intake??

Chris, I'm definately definately not losing brake fluid and as far as i know i'm not losing any water at all from rad. Always at same level. I can't be sure about the smoke/vapour but it does seem more prominent than when the car starts normally. I must stress this only ever happens when the car has been left standing for a week or more. Hence, only happened about three times in total :) Do you think this could be related to the suspected core plug problem? I'll ring you tomorrow re. the decat and hopefully we could discuss this when i come up to yours.

Thanks again

Dan

Roy: Don't worry. you will get it sorted one way or another.

Is it steam or smoke ???? Valve stem oil seals spring to mind here.

Dude:flame Dev

just to let you know CW - she started up fine this morning on the way to work without any hesitating or low, uneven idle. there were no problems either on the way back from work - smooth idle, well relatively speaking of course .. :)

as an aside - think my battery is about to give up the ghost though ... :( oh well - can't win 'em all i guess ... time for one opf those yellow batteries (can't remember brand)!