The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP with BRAKES

V

Just the thread I was looking for! I've had my new Supe a couple of weeks now, but for various reasons I haven't been able to drive it much, but I seem to have the same problem when braking hard AND flooring it!

I haven't checked the brake fluid level yet :stupid: so that's probably why, but I can't see why the lights would go on when accelerating hard though. I just assumed it was the car telling me to go easy on the poor bugger!

I'll top up with brake fluid before I drive it next, what should I use, and can I get it from Halfords or the garage or what?

Stephen - sorry to jump in on your thread like this! Do you get the lights come on when accelerating swiftly!?

Originally posted by Elliot

Just the thread I was looking for! I've had my new Supe a couple of weeks now, but for various reasons I haven't been able to drive it much, but I seem to have the same problem when braking hard AND flooring it!

I haven't checked the brake fluid level yet :stupid: so that's probably why, but I can't see why the lights would go on when accelerating hard though. I just assumed it was the car telling me to go easy on the poor bugger!

I'll top up with brake fluid before I drive it next, what should I use, and can I get it from Halfords or the garage or what?

Stephen - sorry to jump in on your thread like this! Do you get the lights come on when accelerating swiftly!?

Accelerating hard will slosh the fluid around as much as braking hard, so yes, its quite likely your light would still come on in that scenario!

Originally posted by Elliot

Just the thread I was looking for!

No problem, the more the merrier.

The lights only come one when i brake hard, but more prone to come on when i've just been making some loud noise:D :D .

keep me posted on your findings.

Cheers

SV

I don't know for sure if they are ebc or not, but don't know anyone else who manufacture red pads. I've had EBC green and blackstuff pads on different cars in the past and didn't rate them AT ALL.........went back to stock pads with a massive improvement.

So anyway, my current red pads are good and i have no problems with themother than they need replacing. May go for a set of CW's pads depending on price.

btw i think vvt-i's can have the smaller sliding brake calipers, depends on options chosen by the buyer at the time i think.

I have a non vvt-i facelift GZ manual with a limited slip diff, big brakes, side skirts, activ front spoiler, recaro bucket seats and leather rears.

- This combination apparently is not GZ spec (and doesn't fall into GZ, RZ RZ-s descriptions) so goes to show there are no hard and fast rules relating to car specs.

dandan,

Cheers.

Just looked at the photos in Jap land & when docked and the brakes are unfortunatly the cr@p ones.:( :( :(

The service i've had from the place I bought has been very good, but obviosly didnt know their brakes:(

Havent had chnace to push it that hard yet to weather i need the upgrade - probably given the brakes i seem to get through.

Any one tried the KAD 6pots all round??

Thanks

Stephen

The 6 pots might not be a complete waste if they fit under your current wheels. UK calipers often cause clearance issues with aftermarket wheels. I expect 6 pots would too but there may be some 6 pots that are thinner than uk 4 pots.

Uk brakes + new wheels = not cheap.

May be more sensible short term to try, a CW or Porterfield pad type upgrade in the standard small (i prefer that over crap!) brakes.